• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 27, 2021

    Factorio Guess I'll be building CPUs then.

    Factorio Guess I'll be building CPUs then.


    Guess I'll be building CPUs then.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 01:04 AM PST

    I made my first useful circuit! It alerts me when I'm out of science and shows... a message

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 10:22 PM PST

    Some guy started making these all over my map...

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 09:16 AM PST

    I’ve been addicted to this game lately, and figured it was time for ✨fan art✨here’s a little turret!

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 01:16 PM PST

    (Auto)Bots Assemble!

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 07:13 PM PST

    Trust me, the 8 inserters juggling grenades are an essential part of this power plant.

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 09:00 AM PST

    Hi, 9 hours here. Please scream obscenities at my abomination of a factory.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 04:05 AM PST

    First time making my own somewhat large intersection. Did I signal everything correctly?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 02:13 AM PST

    What are some good ways to make sushi?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 10:24 PM PST

    Some people just don't learn from their mistakes

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 04:19 AM PST

    An update on my first factory (I am playing on peaceful btw)

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 02:56 AM PST

    What mod pack to play next

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 07:46 AM PST

    I already played Krastorio 2 and Bob + Angle, separately. For my next mod pack I was thinking playing the Pyanodons (Py) modpack. Should I just play that by its self or do I add other game changing mods (ignoring spice of life mods)

    submitted by /u/CraftingtableCat
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to create mods using FFI to C or Rust?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 02:41 AM PST

    Is it possible to create mods using FFI to C or Rust and does it perform better? I can imagine if you need to create a lot of objects fast and need to calculate something (like map generation) it can shine.

    submitted by /u/Ytrog
    [link] [comments]

    Underground belt exits can block one side of a belt.

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 04:08 PM PST

    High speed belt logic

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 10:11 PM PST

    I was inspired by some others who have made belt logic and came up with a weird way to make signals propagate way faster than the speed of the items on the belt. Instead of empty belt = logic 0 and saturated belt = logic 1, I try to use blocked belt = logic 0 and moving belt = logic 1. This way I think the signal travels instantly in one tick. Since the end receiving items controls if the belt is blocked, then that means the signal travels in the opposite direction as the items. Its kinda just like electricity works with current and voltage. I made a 2 bit adder to prove the concept:

    https://i.imgur.com/RdC1fCi.png

    Blueprint with some individual components:

    https://factorioprints.com/view/-MUX8U1ZTfhscMjq8GqP

    I wasn't really able to make any logic directly using the high speed signals. The best I was able to come up with was to convert the signal to the regular saturated vs empty kind of signal and do all the logic in as compact a space as possible. This way the delay of items moving on a belt is minimized, and the whole adder seems to always finish settling within 15 sec.

    submitted by /u/618smartguy
    [link] [comments]

    Inserters irl

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 08:04 AM PST

    My Kovarex setup

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 07:37 AM PST

    Showing my base pt 4. Big builds today i feel like. But now i have robots!!! :D

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 02:23 PM PST

    Advance oil processing

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 10:31 PM PST

    It is my first run and I found advance oil processing too advanced. In order to make lubricants now I have to deal with 3 additional liquids... as you know light oil heavy oil and some light petrolium. It seems like I can hook up the light petrolium to normal petrolium but I am not sure if this is correct. Now I am worried about them to fill all the tanks and stop working all together too. Why is this too advance thing, isn't it too early to get to this complexity lool? I am open to any suggestions, thanks in advance.

    I will add a photo of my chaotic setup in just a minute. It took me 2.5h to put together haha

    Edit: I cannot add photos sorry. Edit 2: I added the photo as an another post here : https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/ltizct/is_there_any_problem_with_my_oil_setup/

    submitted by /u/toprakkoyun
    [link] [comments]

    OMG Circles!

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 10:40 AM PST

    As stated previously, Factorio needs more circles. I wasn't expecting that post to blow up the way it did, and as I've been asked to show/tell more about it, here you go...

    Blueprints: https://factorioprints.com/view/-MUUEzl2YF0w4QfU9UpH

    Blueprint string: https://www.savendale.net/factorio/needs-more-circles.txt

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/Y8sHGw4

    Video of a short train ride: https://www.savendale.net/media/wild-ride.webm (warning: wiggly)

    The inspiration for this crazy mess came from a couple of posts from u/harsbo that appeared when I was looking for inspiration to start a new playthrough. I realized it needed station limits, but 1.1 was about to be released, so I waited a couple of weeks for it to drop and then jumped in.

    The basic idea of this layout is to only use the circle-based diagonal grid. Every item is produced in its own sub-factory with trains carrying them to where they are needed. Yes, that means I'm transporting things like copper cable, but efficiency isn't a requirement here.

    Instead of a mod like LTN or TSM I'm relying on the vanilla station limits. This means the trains are working in a "pull" fashion. For every item that's needed in a sub-factory a 1-1 train is dedicated to go fetch it. At the pickup station for each item the layout lets me set a limit of 2: one being loaded and one waiting right behind. As soon as the loading train fills and departs the waiting moves forward. If a train was waiting at its own sub-factory due to the station limit, it can now depart and should arrive at the waiting spot to be ready as soon as possible.

    The standard sub-factory is made in a 3x3 tile. I have one in the blueprint books I made for this post, but in normal use I stamp it out with the basic loop. At the top I have supply, with variations for 1/2/3 stations. The materials get unloaded and routed down through a production line, then to the pickup station at the bottom.

    Each pickup station also has a refueling station. There's a refueling train which visits: fuel pickup (originally coal, now rocket fuel) (wait: full cargo), a "fuel staging" station (no wait condition), and then 'Fuel.s' which all the refueling stations are named (wait: empty cargo OR 5s inactivity OR 30s passed). The Fuel.s stations have circuitry to set the station limit to 1 only if the amount of fuel in the chest is below a threshold. If all the refueling stations have enough then they will all have a limit of 0, so the refueling train will wait at the fuel staging station until at least one needs more.

    To extend out to ore patches and oil fields I use the medium and long blueprints. Those are 2x and 4x the length of the Basic Loop blueprint, so while the base is not chunk aligned, it can be tiled. The "ortho" blueprints are the horizontal/vertical equivalents ("orthogonal").

    So far this has been a fun base to build. I'm up to red/green/blue/yellow sciences, and just starting on military science. Yes, I have it set to peaceful. Some things I've found out along the way:

    • Some items can't be made effectively in a single sub-factory. Looking at you, red circuits. So, as I get further along, if something isn't being produced fast enough I'll be making duplicate sub-factories for them.
    • Space. Space is an issue in this design. In most sub-factories I can unload the trains in to chests, which then get unloaded onto belts which then have to be combined/balanced. But with some, especially the 3+ input ones, I don't have enough room and have to unload the train directly onto belts, so I lose the buffer of the chests while the train is fetching more materials. If something needs more than 3 inputs I'll do something like replace the refueling station with the additional material dropoff, and route in a belt of fuel from a nearby refueling station.
    • Large production lines. If you look at the map screenshot you can see some lines that don't fit in the standard 3x3 tile. Those would be ore smelting and petroleum processing. I just punched through to the next tile over and kept extending the array as far as needed.

    So that's it, my circle-based base. I'll post updated maps as I progress towards a rocket launch.

    Edit: add raw blueprint string

    submitted by /u/tremblane
    [link] [comments]

    Factorio or RimWorld

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 04:57 PM PST

    Hi,

    I have been interested in Factorio and RimWorld for quite a while now and have saved up enough to be able to buy one of them. Should I be purchasing Factorio or RimWorld and what are the pros and cons of each game? Since I will only be able to play in short periods will this effect my gameplay and/or enjoyment?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/NothingLikeAFish
    [link] [comments]

    Does the headless server actually simulate the game or just proxy inputs?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 11:47 AM PST

    I have a huge save game that takes about ~15% cpu utilization to run in single player mode. When I host the same save as a headless server and connect, I noticed about the same utilization for my client instance of factorio, but very little cpu usage for the headless server process.

    To test things out further, I connected to the server from another computer and observed the same low cpu usage on the server machine.

    I'm aware that Factorio uses deterministic lockstep for multiplayer. What I'm wondering is whether the server actually computes the game simulation, or simply distributes player inputs between connected players. Based on the CPU usage I'm seeing it seems like the server doesn't actually compute the game simulation, and therefore the server machine doesn't need to be particularly powerful.

    Most server guides say the server _does_ need to be powerful though, so what am I missing?

    EDIT: After thinking about this more, it seems like the server must simulate the game state, otherwise how would it be able to detect desync events? If that's true though, what accounts for the low CPU usage? Is the ~15% usage from the Client instance due to rendering overhead?

    EDIT 2: Thanks everyone for your answers. I realize after some more testing that the large difference in CPU usage I saw as in fact due to the overhead of rendering the game. I tested this by zooming way in and observing the CPU usage of the client instance fall to roughly the usage of the server.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/puddle_or_pothole
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment