• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 28, 2020

    Factorio Weekly Question Thread

    Factorio Weekly Question Thread


    Weekly Question Thread

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    Ask any questions you might have.

    Post your bug reports on the Official Forums


    Previous Threads


    Subreddit rules

    Discord server (and IRC)

    Find more in the sidebar ---->

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    "standardized research unit": 500 spm from raw

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 02:18 AM PDT

    "standardized research unit": 500 spm from raw

    Background: After my abandoned seablock attempt I wanted to do a vanilla run again, specifically a deathworld megabase. I figured I would do a city-blocks + bot base as I had never done a city block base. This was mostly successful, but I realized I don't like the premise of city-blocks: if you have a well-planned factory for X spm, why break it up into blocks and add the uncertainty and inefficiency of trains for what amount to be point-to-point deliveries?

    So, I figured I would make a single tileable 'monolithic' block for 500 science per minute from raw materials, and copy-paste as many of those as I need to get my science target.

    Overall design:

    Overall setup / blueprint shot

    Map view of main production with icons

    Essentially, raw goods stations are located on both ends of the unit. The top half makes science bottles, rocket control units, petrochemical and steel, while the bottom produces the other intermediates (circuits, low-density, and engine). In the middle is the rocket silo and labs.

    Production happens in regular beacon sandwich 'columns', with ore and most plates belted and most intermediates moved by bot. Bots are also used to unload trains onto the ore belts, the whole unit uses a couple thousand bots. Every 3 columns is a stack of roboports to ensure coverage, interrupted in the middle to make room for some more labs.

    It can be tiled onto the shared junctions, which leave a small gap for walking and makes sure the bot networks do not touch. The idea is to grow the base in the horizontal direction and have mining outposts on the north and south of the main rail line using these exits of the junction.

    Power production is not included, it seems to use about 2.7GW, or an 8x2 nuclear reactor.

    Production was calculated using helmod:

    https://preview.redd.it/fzttcutzuiv41.png?width=1502&format=png&auto=webp&s=2e8bcb9a474deaa5dbf59b2af30e886298998df6

    Showcase: circuits

    Here is part of the circuit production. Ore is belted in, smelted, and turned into circuits. Wire for green circuits is moved using 1-stack chests, wires for red are botted (could probably have belted these as well but it's a lot lower throughput). Blue is fully botted, including sulfur and water barrels.

    https://preview.redd.it/b2557d7isiv41.png?width=888&format=png&auto=webp&s=b1fa46f75b1519a1d084164b3484d30bf3a1314a

    Calculations:

    https://preview.redd.it/ts1iw614viv41.png?width=2120&format=png&auto=webp&s=be2c51af928f7539ea74e7686eae9f3f288b5ed0

    So, the whole setup needs 4.5 'columns' of green, 3 of red, and 1 of blue. A green column is 4 green circuits plants, 4 wire plants (using a speed module to keep up), consuming just under a blue belt of copper and iron ore each. Since I could squeeze half a green column together with the blue, this meant 8 columns dedicated to circuits production.

    Showcase: refining and blue science

    Below on the right you see the refining setup. Gas and heavy are piped to below, while light is piped over to the rocket fuel production in the next column, doubling back at the end to cracking (to ensure only surplus light oil is cracked). Gas is turned into sulfur and barreled (for plastic production). And lube barrel production was squeezed in somewhere too :)

    https://preview.redd.it/w4d8p13otiv41.png?width=1054&format=png&auto=webp&s=0fedaa1847cb486503d7c0928f9798096c796c0b

    https://preview.redd.it/jbq3xovuviv41.png?width=1610&format=png&auto=webp&s=5f0a469f78fa729564f24fc46c06cba9db191dfc

    Together with bottling water for blue and battery production, this is about 100k water per minute, or about 1700 per second. Since pipe throughput becomes very annoying above about 1k per second, and I had some space behind the refineries anyway, I decided to use two water pipes so I can have >100 pipes between pumps.

    Train system

    https://preview.redd.it/qe3geka2uiv41.png?width=1664&format=png&auto=webp&s=f69e16083695a5570998040e0b59c6486191a8e2

    Even though the unit needs <4 trains per minute for each side I decided to use a 4 (2+2) lane design.

    Stations are very basic, unloading into chests which are botted over to the start of the ore lines. I could probably unload directly unto the belts but the bots take care of the balancing and I didn't feel like setting up balanced unloading from multiple trains. But maybe I will change that as it will greatly reduce bot usage.

    The thing in the middle is a 'stacker of last resort'. The idea (stolen from u/hackcasual's post) is that each station has a single buffer behind it, but closes if that buffer is full. So, with two iron unloading stations I could fit 4 iron trains. Since I don't know how far the mining outpost will be, this might not be enough. To allow more trains I do the following:

    - Before the stations proper there is an overflow leading to a stacker. A chain signal before the whole selection (with a train length buffer after the junction) allows trains to repath as needed.

    - Behind the stacker is a dead-end track with all stations at the end, a forced red-light, and a set of dummy stations to make it unattractive. As a result, trains will only path to the stacker if all proper stations are closed. They will then wait in the stacker for the forced-red light until an actual station opens up.

    - As all vanilla non-circuit smart train setups, this can still lead to a stampede, so they can also loop back directly to the stacker if two trains compete for the same station that just opened up.

    "Proof" & blueprint

    https://preview.redd.it/vfyx36buyiv41.png?width=1158&format=png&auto=webp&s=e2a2999555af23411f39556a061733ac8bdeea7f

    https://factorioprints.com/view/-M6-3n9qYHIpObig9Ldu

    Todo

    - Consider unloading to belts instead of bots

    - Build the builder unload station to allow automatic building. The idea would be that the main train grid has its own bot network, that will build up to the buiding materials unload station. I generally have a single material type per chest, limited to one stack, and activate the station if anything is zero, calling a supplies train which is set to leave on inactivity. This allows the bots to build the rest of the blueprint. Its 33 different materials plus 2 bot types so 3 wagons (I could produce some things locally but not enough to get to 24 so why bother, I'll probably put barrels in the last slot to speed that up). Since train names are local to each unit, I will have to launch these manually, but at least in .18 I can now blueprint all needed trains and launch them easily from a central location.

    - Integrate into my 'real' base and get to X kspm in an actual game.

    (note: it hovers between 480 and 500 spm in the production tab (1 hour), so it looks like something is bottlenecking but not quite sure what it is, probably either rocket fuel or solar panels)

    submitted by /u/vanatteveldt
    [link] [comments]

    Tired of my research setup always looking the same, so I built THE BRAIN

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:30 AM PDT

    Broketorio ft. Busted Linux GPU Drivers

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 07:07 PM PDT

    I think this belongs here

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 07:21 AM PDT

    4'320'000 Iron, 8'000'000 Copper and 1'520'000 Plastic bars in my pocket.

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 08:32 AM PDT

    Have they been watching me play or something?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 08:21 AM PDT

    Just launched my first rocket!

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:03 PM PDT

    49 hours later and I finally did it. Mind you I barely scraped my way to the end ignoring all efficiency but I still made it. There are so many things I still need to figure out and try. I barely got into bots and haven't even touched nuclear tech, and fluids are still an absolute mystery. I look forward to starting all over, trying to do better with ratios and whatnot.

    submitted by /u/lindor27
    [link] [comments]

    Factorio Timelapse - Basic Sea Block Start to Rocket | 4K

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 10:22 PM PDT

    My early game blue science

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 01:17 AM PDT

    So ... I've tried the Factorio Demo. Not sure where exactly put my work but i just wanted to share. Hope someone will enjoy watching :)

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 04:10 AM PDT

    My terrible science setup that will probably cause me a lot of trouble later :)

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    Any compatible mods/settings that can make an early game Space Exploration Map More Fun?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 08:12 AM PDT

    My friends and I have played through the base game many times. We've also done bobs angels, got very far, but stopped just short of launching the rocket. It was fun, we enjoyed the challenge, but bobs/angels got a little too intense at the end.

    I want us to try space exploration, but my understanding is before you can even get to the space part, you have to launch a rocket. My friends are very tired of doing the same old boring early game, we'd rather not spend several hours getting there just to try it.

    Ideally, it would be cool if we could combine it with another significant mod that changes up the early game. Ideally, not as complicated as bobs/angels as we'd probably never get to end game. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/skilliard7
    [link] [comments]

    What version of the game do you recommend for the beginner?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 08:12 AM PDT

    I've started a New Campaign->Introduction-> Arrival and successful passed it. However no new level got unlock. I started a new game on random map, but when I reached the tech for trains, circuits etc I have to clue what to do with them. I've found many different videos on YouTube - but I want to play it myself, no spending hours watching videos. As I understood the older versions of the game had proper campaign where players can learn how to use of this fancy tech? If so, how can I play it? Should I found older versions?

    I remember years ago when I first time heard about the game it was about some space-traveler who crashed on the foreign planet and want to build rocket to leave it, and "Arrival" campaign matches perfectly this description, there are space-ship derbies, robot helper, etc. But where's the rest of the game? On free-mode there'are no signs of the ship crash.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/realcryptopenguin
    [link] [comments]

    BEWARE! They Are Evolving And Learning Combat Formations.

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 08:09 AM PDT

    Creative Mode question

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 04:13 AM PDT

    Hey guys! It might be best to describe what I'm trying to do. I'm experimenting with ore refining setups, and I had been able to harvest ore super-quick (i.e 2sec click would net a few hundred). At some point Creative Mode updated, and now I can only acquire ore at normal game speed. I'm sure there's something huge I'm just missing here. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/TypewrittenSoul
    [link] [comments]

    Kinda new to the game

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    Im looking for someone to play with and teach me the game msg me if you are interested

    submitted by /u/jamie264747
    [link] [comments]

    Partially full 2 belts to 1 fully compressed + some change belt compression

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 07:36 AM PDT

    Sorry for the terrible title.

    Firstly, due to starting this megabase attempt during 0.16, and the changes to science recipes in 0.17 after I was halfway through the building, I'm stuck on 0.16.51. From what I understand, 0.17 may have other options available for what I'm trying to do.

    I'm trying to solve a problem where I have 2 almost full belts, and am trying to compress them into 1 fully compressed belt and the leftovers onto a second belt, but I can't seem to find any answers on how to do this. I've tried feeding both belts into a splitter with output priority set, but it doesn't consistently compress that output belt. Both input belts have an equal 1120 items/second on each lane (blue belts), and I'm using blue splitters and blue belts, so theoretically this should work as I intended?

    submitted by /u/ArikBloodworth
    [link] [comments]

    underground pipe bug: is this a known issue? I set these lubricant pipes up correctly, and then some time later the game glitched them apart. Has happened multiple times

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 08:42 PM PDT

    QUESTION // toggle-action-logging

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 07:10 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    We started to play this game with friends like two weeks ago, we are in love with the mechanics, so i made a server to let them play the save 24/7. Anyway the server its working very good but now im trying to do something different.

    There is a way to log every player actions? i tried toggle-action-logging but i cannot see the action detail, just something like this.

    33.029 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [369 0 StartWalking]

    33.950 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [424 0 StartWalking]

    35.510 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [518 0 StartWalking]

    36.054 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [551 0 StopWalking]

    36.274 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [562 0 OpenCharacterGui]

    37.518 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [638 0 CursorTransfer]

    38.089 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [671 0 CloseGui]

    38.853 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [719 0 BuildItem]

    38.885 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [720 0 SelectedEntityChangedRelative]

    38.951 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [724 0 StopBuildingByMoving]

    39.459 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [755 0 BeginMining]

    40.288 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [805 0 StopMining]

    40.381 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [810 0 OpenCharacterGui]

    41.530 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:301: Action performed [879 0 CursorTransfer]

    The goal of this is that i want to log every player action(i know its client side), send the logs via secure ftp or something to a server, and then process the logs, i want to do statistics for every player, dashboards on a WebServer and things like that(for science). I am a security analist on my daily work so i know how to handle logs. The problem if i dont know if i can get that data on that level.

    I want something like "Player 5 has crafted "X thing" or something like that, i can parse the data with actions if its necesary, but the true is that idk if can get that data. There is a way to do that?.

    Im searching right know but i prefer to ask in this sub, maybe im in a imposible task.

    Thank you for your kindly support in advance.

    Best Regards!!!

    GL

    submitted by /u/Wintrips
    [link] [comments]

    100% inefficient solar farm, but satisfies my OCD

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    What's wrong with my steel production?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 06:26 AM PDT

    (My) Life in a Nutshell

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:20 AM PDT

    New player looking for a few good guides :)

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 07:46 PM PDT

    Hey guys I am a relatively new player (100 ish hours played and no rockets launched) I know most of the mechanics but I do need a good guide on rails and logistic networks. If anyone has a video guide on either topic I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Dirtylaw00
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment