• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 29, 2020

    Factorio Factorio seed with huge water-walled starter area. (seed in comments)

    Factorio Factorio seed with huge water-walled starter area. (seed in comments)


    Factorio seed with huge water-walled starter area. (seed in comments)

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 06:20 AM PDT

    This lake kinda looks like a chonky cat coughing

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    Krastorio 2 retrospective - A fantastic vision and well worth your time

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 08:23 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    So I just finished my first playthough of Krastorio 2, and man, what a ride. A big shoutout to u/nilhaus for his new Krastorio 2 series, which inspired me to give it a shot.

    What is Krastorio 2

    The mod page explains this best, but the quick and dirty summary is that Krastorio builds upon the core Factorio experience with additional technology tiers and production chains. Unlike Bobs & Angels, which significantly overhauls entire production chain complexity by introducing a ludicrious amount of new manufactured goods and interem products, Krastorio 2 retains the essentials of Factorio's building concepts, and expands upon them without necessitating a total relearning of the core game principles.

    Put simply, Krastorio 2 gives you a deeper, more expansive but essentially still core Factorio experience, without a dramatic increase in complexity. If you love vanilla but just wish it had more, Krastorio 2 is absolutly worth a shot and well worth your time.

    My Mod Setup

    I followed the example set by Nilhaus here; Aside from the core Krastorio 2 mod, the only notable additions beyond some simple quality of life like squeak through and even distribution was the inclusion of Mining and Transport Drones. I found these two in particular to be pleasant automation of logistics, one well suited to an initial playthough though perhaps not subsequent ones. Whilst I found them initially very powerful and time saving, by the end of the game I found myself missing the complexity of setting up trains and depos, as the combination of Bots and Transport drones on well formatted grids made getting materials to and from micro factories entirely trivial. I missed trains alot. I also encountered quite a few crashes from this mod, sometimes losing up to 20 minutes of progress; buyer beware of this one.

    What does it do well

    Unlike base factorio, where progression basically stops at simple beaconed setups, the high capacity belts and loaders allow for some super satisfyling alternate designs that feel clean and crisp. Take a look at some of my green circuit setups I was using over the progression of my factory (please ignore ratios, I know it's wrong but I wasn't concerned about that at all in my first playthough):

    The introduction of few new base resource types, particularly Raw Rare Metals and Raw Imersite, feel seemlessly integrated into the building chains and well utilised. The addition of larger, more advanced tiers of manufacturing buildings, such as the Advanced Smelter and Advanced Manufacturing Machines, lend themselves very well to beaconed setup and loaders.

    Imersite Setup

    Chemistry acts as essentially a side implementation of fundementals learned from oil setups. I found this to be pleasantly challenging without crossing over into cross eyed organic chemistry setups from Angels / Bobs. If you can independently setup oil and kraking to make plastic, then Krastorio 2's chemistry won't be too difficult for you to get a grasp on.

    Example Hydrogen setup

    Matter is one area I haven't yet explored with any depth; aside from using it to fuel some Antimatter reactors and for matter research, I didn't dive any deeper in my first playthough. It's potential seems quite intriguing, and I'll not say more to avoid spoilers, but this seems like one area large megabase constructiors can REALLY sink their teeth into.

    What it doesn't do well

    I found that inserters became compeltely obsolete due to the inclusion of Loaders; being able to directly insert and extract a full belt of materials at will makes loaders entirely redundant; As someone that has always struggled with inserter behaviour this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I did find it interesting that they even bothered with an entirely new tier of inserter when loaders are far superior.

    Antimatter power is too.... simple. There's no need for steam turbines or complex setups, you just plop down the reactor and feed it antimatter cells and instantly are producing terawatts of energy. This is one area that could absoutely use some tuning.

    I also entirely skipped Fusion power. Nuclear was more than enough to carry my though until Antimatter. Perhaps with number tweaking is required to pump up power requirements from later tier buildings / receipies, as well as the amounts produced by the power plants to necessitate their usage, would help increase its important.

    This is close to 50GW of power... it's just too simple.

    I also found it interesting that earlier techonology cards became entirely useless, as after a point on the tech tree none of the early game ones are used; this struck me as a strange design choice, and one that I'm not sure is entirely a good idea. I'd be curious as to what the design philosophy was behind this, as I highly enjoyed scaling up my other micro factories, but found myself demoloshing many of my early science setups without the need to reconstruct them.

    One addition I found largely pointless; mineral water. This new resource doesn't add alot and has a very narrow use. This could easily have been added as a product of the new chemistry additions, so I'm not sure why it needs dedicated resource nodes.

    Summary

    I haven't been this engaged an engrossed in Factorio since my initial playthough. There's so much to do here, so many interesting interacting systems, so many scalaing challenges to solve. It's well worth your time, and you should absolutely give it a shot if you want to reinvigorate your factorio experience.

    submitted by /u/EmperorZoltan
    [link] [comments]

    180 Plastic per second from crude, water, and coal

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 10:00 AM PDT

    Overflow Pump with Range Switch, Level & Light Indicators

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 09:45 PM PDT

    Why are my electric mining drills much slower than burner mining drills?

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 06:18 AM PDT

    Even though it is written that electric mining drills's speed should be twice the burner one?

    submitted by /u/AmokRule
    [link] [comments]

    Construction Drones has had a lot of updates recently. If it didn't work quite properly the first time you gave it a shot, now would be a good time to give it a second go.

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 07:00 AM PDT

    [Help] There is nearly always one object not placed using blueprints. Why?

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 06:37 AM PDT

    Am I in the 1.6 percent ?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 11:02 AM PDT

    Friend started learning Factorio today, he made an interesting design choice.

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 04:14 PM PDT

    Factorio Timelapse - Any % TAS World Record: 1h 21m 20s | 4k

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 08:10 AM PDT

    Really simple kovarex setupp

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 09:47 AM PDT

    Is there a way to rank what should be build first?

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 03:00 AM PDT

    Like poles and roboports.

    submitted by /u/AudaciousSam
    [link] [comments]

    Factorio Lightshow I accidentally made while moving my labs. (Concrete isn't done and hasn't been cleaned up)

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 05:44 PM PDT

    SPM Tab

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 09:41 AM PDT

    Hey, today I joined a multiplayer game without mods ( I believe) and I saw a panel next to rocket silo stats that contains SPM info. All science packs were there and it shows the production/consumption values as well. I checked the internet but I couldnt find the mod or anything about it. Please help me to find it. That was an amazing tool.

    submitted by /u/real_incarus
    [link] [comments]

    Lags Problem

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 09:08 AM PDT

    Hey Guys,

    I´m new to this reddit so I could have missed some answers but here is my Problem:

    I have some issues while playing that get me some short lags like there is too much to render or smth.. after like 3-5 minutes its gone and I can play like there is nothing.

    I already tried to change the ingame settings and stuff but I cant see any difference here.

    Could it be, that my PC isnt able to work the graphics with my 4k display? Are there any settings I can change so i wont get some lags again?

    submitted by /u/MrPuddl
    [link] [comments]

    I want to give this game a second chance.

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 08:36 AM PDT

    After playing some modded RimWorld, and messing around with conveyor belts in Lumber Tycoon 2 on Roblox, I've decided I want to give this game a second chance. However, some of the mechanics are far beyond my grasp. I had to cheat my way through the chain station tutorial, and I gave up when it came to oil. Would someone with decent experience and a hefty amount of patience be willing to do a vanilla play through with me, giving me tips and tricks on the more advanced aspects of the game?

    submitted by /u/Dragon_Overlord
    [link] [comments]

    Learning trains and this happened

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 07:59 AM PDT

    Learning trains and this happened

    I've been playing through Krastorio 2 after I got burnt out in my first modded run of Factorio (chose SeaBlock, I know). As part of this I chose a railworld base and have had to use trains for the first time at any kind of scale. I'm about to launch my first rocket in Krastorio 2 and have a pretty organized base (I like to think).

    But this section always gets me. The loop in red is where it all began (X'd out section of track was added to solve a problem). A simple chemical plant. As my needs grew I kept solving problems with bandaids, not knowing my long term needs. Ended up with this monstrosity. It works, but that's about all it does.

    At the bottom you can see the station design I decided on and have been using elsewhere. The figure 8 lookin part. It seems to work well so far.

    Anyone else use this approach of "solve a problem, make some problems" on new playthroughs?

    https://preview.redd.it/ybaaqy3eurv41.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=023bf14aff09987f77e63d30a508fa4418786f2f

    submitted by /u/bigWAXmfinBADDEST
    [link] [comments]

    Mid/late game mining outpost planning

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 07:54 PM PDT

    How do y'all plan your mining outposts given that every few minutes/hours your mining productivity increases by 10% every few hours/minutes/seconds?

    Right now I have a 100% productivity bonus, so half of the outpost I built before starting mining productivity research is now useless.

    Should I just plan on filling a blue belt with what I have now, or scale it down such that later, once I've researched more mining productivity, the miners still stay useful?

    submitted by /u/Anna191916
    [link] [comments]

    Which one is your preferred turret

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 12:00 AM PDT

    Question about bob's mods

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    Hi, so i just recently launched my first rocket together with a friend but we are not so satisfied about our base for various reasons so we want to start a new one from scratch, now, since we're making a new one i thought it could be cool to try and make a modded game.

    Now the question is, by implementing all of bob's mods, does the difficulty increase by a lot or is it manageable? do you reccomend not implementing some? do you recommend other mods other than bob's?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/TheAngryMurloc
    [link] [comments]

    When the abyss stares back at you

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 01:22 PM PDT

    Am I missing something? Why does pipe throughput suck so badly that I need to just make lines of hundreds of pumps to get crude to my refineries?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 03:42 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment