• Breaking News

    Monday, October 28, 2019

    Factorio When you go one step further:

    Factorio When you go one step further:


    When you go one step further:

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 02:55 PM PDT

    The Factorio team really are fantastic.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 05:26 AM PDT

    The Iron Dome; Riding in on my 4-43-4 Iron horse. Expansion Denial zone.

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:08 AM PDT

    So I heard you like spaghetti, what about this one for B&A liquids and gases?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:14 PM PDT

    Me and my friend spawned in oil. I woke up this morning and saw this. Boy is it satisfying.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:59 AM PDT

    [Revised] Belt Throughput Checker

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 06:21 AM PDT

    [Revised] Belt Throughput Checker

    Below is a small blueprint I made as a second iteration to my original belt checker here.

    Here is the revised blueprint.

    https://i.redd.it/qma0ns976av31.png

    Credits to u/Zaflis for providing an all electric memory design using a looped combinator to store the "Belt became decompressed" bit.

    The current status lamp can be red, yellow, or green signaling if the belt is empty, partially saturated, or completed saturated respectively. The next lamp is used to remember if the belt has ever become even slightly unsaturated. If this happens the lamp will turn and stay red. To reset the lamp to green, remove the arithmetic combinator (furthest to the right) and place it again (I usually ctrl + z it back). Lastly, there is a blatantly annoying alarm to let you know your factory isn't growing fast enough when the belt isn't completely saturated.

    I primarily use this design to litmus test other prints I am working on in my test map. The goal was to make something small (fit on a single electric pole) and self contained so it could be plopped down nearly anywhere.

    Enjoy!

    submitted by /u/bwc_nothgiel
    [link] [comments]

    Overwhelmed by my own past designs, anyone else experiences this?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 06:53 AM PDT

    For a few times over the past 2 years I restarted Factorio and began building a base that would become my first megabase. Real life and other games then take up a few months in between and when I come back to my saved base I do not understand it very well anymore and keep starting over.

    Does anyone else do this? And why would we waste so much time?

    submitted by /u/LightAndMagic
    [link] [comments]

    I'm new to the game

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 03:28 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, recently I just bought factorio for the first time and I'm loving every single moment but honestly I don't know much about the game, anyone have any tip about what should I do and don't do?

    submitted by /u/Fisteves
    [link] [comments]

    Just launched my first rocket! It took my fiancé and me 60 hours. Here are the ruins we left behind.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 07:42 AM PDT

    Who says factories need to be hostile to all life?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 09:40 AM PDT

    My Current Factory as of 250 hours

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 03:29 PM PDT

    Imgur Gallery

    This is attempt #2 at posting, as it seems Reddit's editor is... a bit troublesome. The first time around, all the images I uploaded via Reddit were stuck "processing".

    Anyway, I'm a long time lurker and a first time poster(hence the issue first time around). I just achieved "Mass Production 3" and I'm about 15 hours from hitting the big 1k hour mark. As celebration, I want to show off my latest factory that I'm very proud of.

    Each time I start a new factory, I try some new idea(s) to see how it works. For instance, my last factory I had a map-wide logistics system with on-demand trains - though I got it working well enough, I wasn't happy with it.

    This time, my goals were:

    • Optimized power utilization efficiency, or "PUE" in datacenter terms. I saw some posts with other people doing something similar and taking this to the extreme, but my goal of increased efficiency is without affecting output
      • Segregated power networks to shut down individual areas when not being used (eliminate a lot of idle drain). This works out very well, and is generally very simple to integrate. The most common condition set is (No train waiting to load/unload) AND (buffered completed products > threshold).
      • I read a post on Radar pulse scanning, and immediately implemented my own version of it! A fantastic idea
    • Train tracks will never cross, merge only
      • Currently, I have 160 1-3-1-3 trains zipping around. I have not had a single jam
      • Though the path from point A to point B might be longer (sometimes significantly), there is never any backup
    • Train centric production
      • Though belts do make an appearance quite often, trains are the true star of the show
      • In addition to on-site buffers, ore, plates, and fluids have 'Banks' to centralize storage and pickup
      • Each 'system' has at least 1 train that delivers resources TO it, with the exception of basic mining. The mines produce ore, a train picks up the ore and delivers TO the Ore Bank; a train picks up from the Ore Bank and delivers TO the smelters; etc.
      • Rather than deal with complex circuits for dispatching trains to/from production areas that occupy more than 1 block, multiple train signals are used to increase the penalty for production 'sets'. Trains will automatically redirect as needed
      • Fuel stations are planned for every 7 blocks to prevent excessive travel, though I currently only have 1

    Overall, this factory has been the most fun one I've made, and in my opinion, one of the most aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes I just sit and watch the busy little trains zipping around between the perfectly laid out electrical grid lines.

    Aside from the obvious, I'm also very proud of:

    • How the Nuclear Reactor is coming along (still need Kovarex and Logistics Systems to fully complete it)
    • The fact that the Roboports in the Nuclear Reactor area are the only ones on the whole map(90% of this map was built bot-free, and with 0 blueprints)
    • The Oil processing lacking anything resembling "Spaghetti"
    • I haven't even started Production or Utility science yet!

    In this map, I use my own terminology:

    A "Block" is the size of 7x7 large power poles, and the tracks that surround it use another 1 large power pole's space around the perimeter (no "chunk alignment").

    A "System" is a group of "sets" that perform a specific purpose. May be a part, a whole, or multiple blocks.

    A "Set" is a set(usually 6) of Assemblers, Furnaces, or other that corresponds to 1 drop-off station, 1 load station, and a power switch to turn it off when not in use.

    A "Toybox" is basically what people call a Mall. So far, my Toyboxes are taking up 5 blocks and keep me supplied with everything I need to build my factory

    So far, this factory is working quite well, aside from needing more Iron and Copper... I'm hoping this one will turn into my first 'megabase'.

    Please, let me know what you all think of my baby.

    submitted by /u/RubeusEsclair
    [link] [comments]

    Biter/Spitter collision change allows enemies to concentrate fire in a way that's unreasonable

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:02 PM PDT

    I wish I'd gotten a screenshot of this to help illustrate my point, but it happened so quickly that I didn't get the chance.

    The setup: I'm playing on a desert map with very few trees, so the pollution spreads out very quickly, very far. I'm completely off coal and have researched all the machine gun and laser weapon upgrades available with blue and black science. Haven't been doing much with flamethrowers this playthrough.

    Enemies are hitting hard and often... and concentrating on parts of my defenses that are somewhat harder to defend. Corners, etc...

    I have a train with two cargo cars powered with coal going back and forth between the main base area and an iron outpost. Its track winds through the area where attacks are most frequent. Accordingly, It's got 31 train kills in the short time I've had it.

    I was riding it and saw a huge group of enemies that were crossing the tracks at just the right moment. I expected splort. What I did not expect was the entire group stopping in one square before the tracks and firing their attacks lengthwise down it. My cargo cars were reduced down to 2 red health blocks each and my engine was reduced to half-health.

    Trains are kinda 'supposed' to be the trump card to biter attacks. 'Hit by a train' is a cliche for a reason. Because the enemies were able to stop in such a small space and on such quick notice, they were able to attack me in a new, perhaps unintended way.

    I think that the new collision changes are great. However, I'm going to suggest making the enemies slightly less responsive and less able to screech to a stop to avoid concentrations like this.

    submitted by /u/azurill_used_splash
    [link] [comments]

    List of all recipes for Industrial Revolution

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 07:29 AM PDT

    Sorry, can't find the question sticky?

    Like the title says, I'm looking for data on the cost of items in Industrial Revolution. I'm planning large scale smelting arrays, but I need to figure out how big to build.

    Was about to start inputing all the items required for all sciences into a spreadsheet so I could compute the total demand (based on various total throughput goals), but figured I'd ask before I begin such tedious data entry.

    submitted by /u/Splendiks
    [link] [comments]

    Please help resolve train deadlock

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 07:27 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm brand new to Factorio, and struggling with train deadlocks. I've played the in game tutorial, and a few others posts, but I'm missing something here.

    Basically I'm running two tracks - one into my base, and one out. In the attached screenshot, the track on the right is out of my base, and the track on the left is into my base. Trains can only travel in one direction on each of those tracks.

    Its almost working, but I get some deadlocks at this intersection from time to time.

    Any help much appreciated.

    https://imgur.com/a/FxYr2CU

    submitted by /u/phpdev8
    [link] [comments]

    100% Achievement Lets Play

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:40 AM PDT

    Here is my "Rule 8" post for my new Lets Play of Factorio ;)

    This Lets Play series will be a challenge to complete all Achievements in Factorio in a single game. The base will be an attempt at a "speed run" while maintaining the Order of the Path and keeping a nice well lighted base. After the first rocket launch it will transition towards a megabase for the final achievements.

    This is season 33 of my Factorio content; over 3 years of #DailyFactorio
    https://youtu.be/4jPbPfh8wYs

    submitted by /u/ChristianNilaus
    [link] [comments]

    PermaDeath 12 - It's a Jungle Out There

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 02:58 PM PDT

    PermaDeath 12 - It's a Jungle Out There

    In this series, I play default vanilla settings and do not preview the map. I simply start a new game and try to get as far as I can with only one life. If my engineer dies for any reason, noble or moronic, he remains dead and progress is lost.

    Previous runs;
    PD8, PD9, PD10, PD11

    Not a bad spawn. Resources a bit far from water, but at least they are close together. Desert means pollution will spread quickly and those NE and SW biter bases will become a problem sooner than later.

    https://i.redd.it/xsa7jkcnh5v31.png

    https://i.redd.it/5rsuuk3vh5v31.png

    I get a basic resource bus and early copper/iron mall going. I have taken to spending more time on setting up malls at the beginning as this really helps me feel more confident in the later game. I'm still leaning very heavy into the idea of the resource only bus. I am still just starting to suss out the theories and tactics that accompany this approach.

    After the last run where I developed and worked from strictly planned blueprints, I have decided to continue embracing the spaghetti. Instead of trying to plot down solved and convenient blueprints, I would like to develop some principals and understandings that allow me to improvise a set up influenced by any individual run.

    https://i.redd.it/vp24brmdl5v31.png

    Red and Green Science online along with a more developed mini mall.

    A closer look at the mall

    A closer look at the Red/Green unit

    Military Science online. Almost not problems so far. Resource bus looking tight here. ;)

    Military Science

    Pollution getting pretty rampant. I see some oil on the map now and also some biters that will have to be dealt with.

    https://i.redd.it/gdqkwrfem5v31.png

    After securing oil, I got blue science rolling pretty confidently and was pleased to see a small bit of spaghetti start to creep in. Now I can get rockets and go biter hunting!

    https://i.redd.it/iqoymyzim5v31.png

    As the mall expanded it really started getting into prime pasta territory. This was a lot of fun to build!

    https://i.redd.it/7yhcns6qm5v31.png

    Meta View

    I've been trying to utilze trains more, but I still have no strong principals with out to lay out routes, stations or pick up/drop offs so my train solutions end up being quite conveluted.

    https://i.redd.it/lyaq0xk4n5v31.png

    Purple Science a lot easier than expected. I was actually pretty surprised at how compact and orangized this ended up being.

    https://i.redd.it/ricn738kn5v31.png

    Now that I have rockets, I get turrets, ammo and armor beefed up I head out in the jungle to get me some biter blood!

    https://i.redd.it/wuzyl8trn5v31.png

    Oops. It's a jungle out there!

    https://i.redd.it/7ah2ealyn5v31.png

    This base was a lot slower than my last run and I didn't get as far, but it was way more fun improvising based on calculated ratios vs. plopping down perfect blueprints and buliding on top of them. I'll be leaning more and more this way without a doubt.

    submitted by /u/moms_spaghetti_base
    [link] [comments]

    64 Wagon Off Grid Ore Outpost

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 06:06 PM PDT

    64 wagon ore outpost

    Size compared to 32 wagon outpost

    Video

    This ore outpost is only slightly larger than my old 32 wagon version. It will take twice as long to load fully with ore because it has double the capacity. It has 9 Train stops. The first one is a dummy that becomes disabled when a train is visiting the outpost and this diverts other trains to unoccupied outposts. There is a latch on the dummy stop that disables the stop when a train stops at it, and it only enables again when both rail signals nearby are green. This is only possible when the train has completely left the outpost. This prevent trains from forming standoffs, where one wants in while one wants out on the same path. This solution is needed because of the length of the train, typical train traffic control strategies do not work at this scale.

    The train schedule has a empty destination causing it to go through the outpost twice. This will clear the rear of the train from the main track while it is loading.

    At the end of the video, I show my current 32 wagon ore train and smelter. I designed the smelter so I can easily add onto it, doubling the capacity by copy and pasting the furnaces to where the new wagons will be.

    Each outpost has an independent power grid. They are powered by 4x high temp steam wagons. Along with 3x efficiency modules in the electric miners, they typically only use 20% of the stored steam before the 32 wagons are full of ore. This is why I believe those same 4 steam wagons should be able to provide plenty of power to extract 64 wagons worth of ore too.

    Iron and copper outposts are named identically. I prevent them from mixing by simply not connecting their tracks together. Copper ore trains can not path to the iron smelter and vise versa. Train tracks carrying differing materials are only allowed to cross, and not merge together. This greatly simplifies dropping new outposts.

    To build this, I place the track blueprint, then place electric miner blueprints to fit the ore patch. Lastly, all I have to do is connect the track to the correct smelter and turn the train on. It does not require running a separate power line.

    submitted by /u/GoldenShadowGS
    [link] [comments]

    Starting to play Factorio for the first time in years - Where to start?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:25 AM PDT

    I have a total of 24 hours in Factorio. This was before 0.15 I believe, several nights with a few hours. I think I advanced until drones and trains, but never tried either. I mainly concentrated on a large main bus, following KatherineOfSky's tutorials.

    When I started now I just couldn't understand anything. Been too long I guess. Did start the tutorial, but found it a bit too hard to follow, kinda a "guess what I'm thinking" way of teaching IMHO. And it didn't teach me how to rotate items, etc.

    Should I complete the tutorial, or are there better resources for "new" players and 0.17?

    submitted by /u/DIYglenn
    [link] [comments]

    ... why am I like this ...

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:52 AM PDT

    Made some pretty tasty pasta for pink & green science with Bob's & Angel's

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    Simple mini Kovarex setup ─ no circuits.

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 04:59 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment