• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 26, 2019

    Factorio /r/Factorio is participating in Extra Life next weekend!

    Factorio /r/Factorio is participating in Extra Life next weekend!


    /r/Factorio is participating in Extra Life next weekend!

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 12:47 PM PDT

    Weekly Question Thread

    Hello Engineers,

    It's that time of the year again, where the moderators of the subreddit and Discord server get together to raise money for childrens' hospitals through Extra Life. This will be the 3rd year that we've done the event, and we're glad to be doing it again.

    What?

    Extra Life is a charity that raises money for childrens' hospitals in the US and Canada. Every year they run an event in which people play games, raising awareness and getting donations to Extra Life. You can read more about Extra Life on their website.

    We'll be playing Factorio, that much we know. The exact details are being sorted out. If previous years are anything to go by, there'll be lots of spaghetti being built.

    Where?

    We will be streaming our gameplay! We're still sorting out who will be streaming the event at what times. I will update this post when we know who.

    I'll definitely be streaming the first half of the event, you can find links below.

    When?

    We will be starting at 9pm GMT on Friday the 1st of November, one week from when this is posted. We will be playing Factorio for the next 24 hours, with different members of the team swapping in and out.

    Timezone Time
    GMT 9pm Friday
    EDT 5pm Friday
    PDT 2pm Friday
    AEDT 8am Saturday

    Who?

    If you are signing up for Extra Life, leave a comment here and I'll add you to the table.

    Factorio Team

    Name Donation Link Stream Link
    /u/secret_online Extra Life Twitch
    /u/The-Bloke Extra Life

    Other Teams

    Name Donation Link Stream Link
    submitted by /u/secret_online
    [link] [comments]

    When you've had your fill of Spaghetti, time for Vermicelli

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 02:08 AM PDT

    Factorio Music Machine

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 12:51 AM PDT

    What do you use your programmable speakers for?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:33 AM PDT

    When you upgrade from yellow to blue belts:

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 05:09 AM PDT

    Annexed some new land. Who wants to inform the locals?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:10 PM PDT

    Cursed inserter

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Early game mall design--clean and simple

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:04 PM PDT

    Factorio Chibi Comic Cover

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 08:05 AM PDT

    Simple crosswalk

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 07:52 AM PDT

    First Base, Mission Accomplished: 48:39:29

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:56 PM PDT

    Must grow

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 07:17 PM PDT

    Must grow

    The base must grow

    Base

    submitted by /u/SeyDutch
    [link] [comments]

    I heard you guys liked main buses so here is mine

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 01:55 PM PDT

    Dreaming about Factorio

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 03:24 AM PDT

    While i was sleeping I had a Dream, in which there was another level of Biters after Behemoths, so strong a line of Laser Turrets couldn't cope with them. My base got overrun and destroyed by them. To say the least it was a Nightmare. I may be playing to much.

    While I was playing Today I only realised it was a Dream when I couldn't find any of the Biters.

    submitted by /u/Sakul1
    [link] [comments]

    The Factory consumes everything, including my creativity

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:48 AM PDT

    I finally found why I love so much factorio

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 06:04 PM PDT

    Little recup:

    For one month I've been fighting with the biters, repairing and rebuilding turrets, stuck on the blue science. But finally I am farming the blue science and now biters are not a problem anymore.

    That feeling of satisfaction is so good. XD And now, the factory must grow!!!

    (p.s. Sorry if I made some mistakes writing this :P )

    submitted by /u/_Ax__
    [link] [comments]

    How good is this for a first run past blue science?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 06:36 AM PDT

    Challenge: No Solar, 1 water pump.

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:14 PM PDT

    Your entire factory must cope with only having 1 water pump to work with. Maybe you accidentally landfilled all your water before you placed offshore pumps, and you don't want to mod in some waterfill. The reasons don't necessarily matter. What matters is that you can sustain a Max of 20 boilers and 40 engines, not counting steam/water buffers or oil works.

    Since you've only got 1 water pump, you'll want other ways to supply your power. Obviously if you can't use anything but electricity, you gotta use what you gotta use. Assembling machines and labs for example need electricity, but furnaces and drills can be done by burners only.

    Maybe you might limit your power usage by controlling where your resources go. Decide whether you would prefer to upgrade your belts from yellow to red, or expand your furnace layout. Since copper is even less obligatory than before, maybe you might deprioritize coal going to copper smelters and copper mines. Despite their UPS cost, Splitters are extremely useful. They use a resource that's otherwise typically in low demand (copper) while providing stubs (Enabling burner inserters to work with high-tier belts), sorting, splicing, automated prioritizing, and of course, splitting.

    If you play with biters on, you're a masochist. Not only must you manage your factory, but more importantly, your size. Calculations of wattage per ammo must be taken into account, as well as wattage per wall, wattage per repair pack, etc. Roboports traditionally eat power grids alive, yet if you go for roboports you might lose your entire factory as robots go to repair your walls, thus draining your water, preventing ammo from being made. Accumulators might come in handy, as they're not banned, unlike solar.

    I imagine the game becomes an epic race against the clock as you must not only manage an untenable pollution cloud, which expands due to your forced usage of burners, you must also deal with relentless power issues. Most speedrunners will complete their run with before they ever encounter biters, but will they complete it with just 20 boilers? Can they cope with the necessary water going towards hoil and loil on top of electrically produced petrol?

    I imagine this challenge to be great fun for everyone involved.

    submitted by /u/WvHawkvW
    [link] [comments]

    Debug gui saves lifes

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 07:55 AM PDT

    So today I learned you can browser all the games sprites by opening the debug menu and pressing F3 , Neat stuff

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 07:50 AM PDT

    Do trains decide their route dynamically in transit or when leaving from one station to head to the next and stick with it?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 06:31 AM PDT

    Noticed some trains being really stubborn about heading to a closer station when one that is slightly farther out (with the same name) is empty. They are parked waiting for the closer station, but can move on to the next one when it is free as it unloads faster.

    I'm goofing off in creative mode designing as rail system that can slam smelting arrays with tons of material and have multiple pickup and drop off stations that will share a stop name depending on location and function - so two unloading platforms meant to serve the same area will have the same name, two loading ones will have to same name, etc.

    I'm trying to get some massive throughput and have a handle on stackers and intersections - so no collisions - just some dumb decisions made by trains that can cause delays. Once I actually build everything for real I'll have everything load and unload at the same rate, but for now things are unbalanced to test for deadlocks and collisions.

    Also, it's really, really, REALLY hard to get enough fish to fill a wagon. That poor train as been sitting at the lake FOREVER. Might need to call upon some artillery soon.

    submitted by /u/Jubei_
    [link] [comments]

    I embraced spaghetti!

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    I embraced spaghetti!

    In my last post I was scared of bugs... I took some advices and built a car and AP ammo. That gave me a bit of space that I needed, but I just didn't feel like fighting bugs really so I started a new world... But I did not want to start over so I ditched that and came back to my "buggy" base. I decided to turn bugs into peaceful ones through console.

    Now that I don't need to fear so much I finally can expand my starter base that I use to get technology and materials for my modular LTN based (hopefully)mega base. But I really don't feel like building a huge base by hand so I needed blue science for bots (and later logistics, duh...)

    So here is my smol spaghet :)

    Main bus in the middle, light spaghet everywhere :)

    You can see some rails on my minimap already - I'm using Brian's Trains blueprint book. It turns out that it's just perfect for my needs!

    I'm not using someone elses blueprints for anything else - I try to design as much as I feel like designing. ;)

    submitted by /u/soramenium
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment