• Breaking News

    Monday, May 17, 2021

    Factorio Weekly Question Thread

    Factorio Weekly Question Thread


    Weekly Question Thread

    Posted: 16 May 2021 09:00 PM PDT

    Ask any questions you might have.

    Post your bug reports on the Official Forums


    Previous Threads


    Subreddit rules

    Discord server (and IRC)

    Find more in the sidebar ---->

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I know everybody hate diagonal belts but everybody is fine with diagonal rails. So here's 64 diagonal blue belt lanes of copper.

    Posted: 17 May 2021 03:51 AM PDT

    I *might* have forgotten to limit the robot production...

    Posted: 17 May 2021 03:13 AM PDT

    We all learn somehow.

    Posted: 16 May 2021 02:16 PM PDT

    Hey guys, how about my blue science? I fried a neuron doing this.

    Posted: 16 May 2021 12:58 PM PDT

    Factorio on M1 Macs: 60 fps with the correct settings

    Posted: 17 May 2021 02:33 AM PDT

    Factorio on M1 Macs: 60 fps with the correct settings

    Hi,

    so first a bit of context: I previously played Factorio on an "old" 2013 iMac, which worked pretty well since the game officially supports Intel based Macs. I wanted to switch to the new M1 Macs which have special ARM-Chips made by Apple instead of the standardized Intel chips. On these machines, software needs to be recompiled and optimized for the new architecture. To ensure backwards compatibility, Apple provides a tool called Rosetta 2 that automatically converts "old" software to work on the M1 Macs. Initially I was worried that Factorio wouldn't run on the new Mac or would run very poorly.

    Here's what I've found after one month of playing:

    With no settings changed, the game runs pretty good (60 fps/60 ups) even though it had to be run through Apples compatibility tool Rosetta 2, which by the way works pretty seemless; just click and play, no more steps involved.

    Here comes the big BUT: Pretty soon I ran into fps drops down to 20 fps when viewing large arrays of smelters with many insertes and zoomed out all the way. Not too bad that it's unplayable, but it felt very stuttery. When I zoomed in the fps got back up to around 40 or so. The ups stayed constant at 60 the whole time, so I thought it's not a big deal, still playable.

    Then I played around with the settings and initialy, all the usual things didn't improve the framerate at all. I tried disabling "show all smoke", "animated water" and "animated trees" and "high-quality animations". I also reduced sprite resolution, atlas texture size and texture compression. Nothing worked. Unti I set "video memory usage" to medium. All of a sudden the fps/ups stayed pretty much at 60, no matter what was on screen.

    Here are my current settings:

    https://preview.redd.it/35im2z6menz61.png?width=794&format=png&auto=webp&s=18a4646c895fe4aa6fc2075639b6da07640e50d0

    For additional context: I do not have a megabase! It's a small/medium factory with like a few smelting arrays and science production of all but the space science pack. I have a few hundred robots and some trains, too. But I think it's the graphics that are the problem, not the ups.

    I run Factorio on a 2020 Mac mini with 16 GB of RAM.

    TL;DR: Set video memory usage to medium to improve fps on M1 Macs!

    submitted by /u/stephan1990
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished my first circuit factory! Super happy, even tho I missed my goal by a little of reaching both gold achievments :) (first game, 50 hours in)

    Posted: 17 May 2021 02:58 AM PDT

    I'm not proud of this, but now I've started its daunting to go back.

    Posted: 17 May 2021 04:14 AM PDT

    Any of you guys often find yourselves stuck in a vicious circle?

    Posted: 16 May 2021 08:42 PM PDT

    I've gotta get more oil. My outposts right now are drying up.

    So I'm building a "Builder" squad of spidertrons to go and build a few more outposts. But they need construction bots and roboports. Those cost batteries.

    I'm making batteries at full capacity right now but my accumulator production is consuming them all. I need to upgrade my speed mods from II to III. So I need blue circuits.

    But I can't get blue circuits because plastic production is slow and what blue circuits I do make are immediately taken by logistic robots. So I've gotta up plastic production.

    Plastic production is low because petroleum is low. Petroleum is low because oil is low. So I need to go build some more-- OH GOD DAMMIT!

    I can only get more of the thing I need by getting more of the thing I need!

    Edit: I realize this is Factorio's gameplay loop. This post is talking being unable to move within the loop. Being unable to easily progress because the very thing you need to progress is what you're trying to get to progress. Factorio is normally, "use A to get B". You build circuits for miners to get more iron by getting some copper to make copper wires. This current problem is "use A to get A".

    submitted by /u/FactoryBuilder
    [link] [comments]

    Tank, DPS, Healer - The Wolf Pack

    Posted: 16 May 2021 10:49 AM PDT

    I love Artillery range research...the biters seem less keen though

    Posted: 16 May 2021 11:07 AM PDT

    This is happening more and more lately

    Posted: 17 May 2021 03:16 AM PDT

    Roboport network

    Posted: 17 May 2021 08:25 AM PDT

    Hello everyone

    I have a question about if there is an easier method to empty a network from robots? I mean easier than going from roboport to roboport and extract them. I need my roboports to have a better number. I dont want to have fx. 1849 logistic bots. Some places I have almost 10k construction bots but dont need them there anymore.

    I hope my question makes sense.

    submitted by /u/runenaundrupdahl
    [link] [comments]

    There's a way to bring back the character tab?

    Posted: 16 May 2021 11:54 AM PDT

    Different sized trains use same station?

    Posted: 17 May 2021 06:27 AM PDT

    Horrible title but I don't know how to explain without being wordy. Please read in its entirety so you know what I am specifically asking about.

    I'm trying a city block based design and using Nilaus' blueprint book as a base for the save file and I'm loving it. But due to the limited amount of stops present in the blueprints more complicated designs in the city block become really messy.

    Say I want to make purple science. If I ship in some of intermediates like reds and sulfur that leaves me with engine units, something that I don't feel should warrant it's own block, to produce on site.

    This means I need a train stop for: Purple science packs Sulfur Red chips Iron plates Steel plates

    5 stations for a single item.

    What I would LIKE to do is make combo trains, where I have a 1-4 train that has the front 2 cars carrying reds and the back 2 cars carrying sulfur. Ditto for iron plates and steel plates.

    What I am ASKING is, can I only fill up 2 cars at a station that normally handles 4 train cars. So when the empty train comes up to the 1-4 station that loads iron plates into 4 cars I want it to only fill the first 2 cars and leave the back 2 empty, then the half full train can go pick up steel at another station. I would like this to all be done at one station because making a specialty station that handles these combo trains is really just moving the station problem to another area.

    Is this a circuit solution, is there a way to whitelist train cars to only certain materials?

    submitted by /u/cav754
    [link] [comments]

    Can I do a legit playthrough with EndgameExtension and MSP combined?

    Posted: 17 May 2021 05:37 AM PDT

    i'd like to submit my module factory. works for any lvl 3 module. it takes red circuit, processors, and lvl 1 modules in entry, and generate 30 modules/min

    Posted: 16 May 2021 04:44 PM PDT

    Am I being dumb because I cannot get these pumps to unload oil from the tankers

    Posted: 16 May 2021 11:37 AM PDT

    Nuclear Power Plant Series

    Posted: 16 May 2021 06:39 PM PDT

    My refined blue science factory

    Posted: 16 May 2021 08:59 AM PDT

    How to find my body

    Posted: 16 May 2021 04:19 PM PDT

    So, I died during my B&A gameplay and i can not find my body. The big spitters and biters as wel as the dropped artifacts do not help. Is there a easy way to locate my body? * Running back took about 5 min, so my body should still be there * I do not have robots

    submitted by /u/YouAreCookies
    [link] [comments]

    What happens if i don't kill the worms?

    Posted: 16 May 2021 06:26 PM PDT

    I just raid a biter nest near my base before they attack me due to polution, but i didn't killed the worms yet, do they "grow back" the nest or something?

    submitted by /u/DancingPelican
    [link] [comments]

    How to get ores onto trains faster?

    Posted: 17 May 2021 01:38 AM PDT

    I'm having issues getting ores from my mining drills onto the trains, I make lots of drills but they don't get there quick enough and my drills back up with ore. I am wondering what strategies you guys use to load 383 trains in a timely manner.

    submitted by /u/MaliciousCucumber
    [link] [comments]

    Guidance for creating a space Exploration LTN block base

    Posted: 17 May 2021 12:18 AM PDT

    I just unlocked trains in space exploration, and want to make a train-based LTN system.

    I've got a regular megabase blueprint book that I normally use, but converting it to space Exploration is going to be a minor nightmare, and I feel like it wastes a lot of space.

    What advice have you got for setting up these kinds large-scale of blueprints?

    submitted by /u/Thinkingwithportals1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment