• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 2, 2020

    Factorio First time playing, Am I doing it well?

    Factorio First time playing, Am I doing it well?


    First time playing, Am I doing it well?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:18 AM PDT

    Crap. Forgot a row of inserters at my stations.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 11:02 PM PDT

    After 2 hours of playing i automated red/green research

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 03:40 AM PDT

    Decided to upgrade my 0.8 world to 0.18, this was the (sort of glitchy) result

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:53 AM PDT

    Revealed right after I collected the biomass in Krastorio2... What does he want?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 07:25 AM PDT

    What to try after finishing the base game?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 02:09 AM PDT

    Been playing since a couple of years on an on/off basis. Once I launch a couple of rockets I lose interest in the endgame and star over.

    I think I am at a point where playing an extensive mod would re-kindle my flare. What would you suggest? I really enjoy automating stuff and would love to do more stuff in the endgame. Optimizing and pumping up production numbers gets dull after countless games.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/soacemantr
    [link] [comments]

    [Bob/Angel] This should be illegal! Hacking my way to some basic electronics boards. Filter inserters make life easier!

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 05:54 AM PDT

    Finished my first game 59:48:48, 0 times got run over by a train, only got hit once while in the car

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 05:56 AM PDT

    literally unplayable

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 07:00 AM PDT

    I know they're evolving, but should i be worried about that guy?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 08:06 AM PDT

    400 hours in and haven't beaten the game. Need advice.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 11:18 PM PDT

    well, as the title suggests. I'm not particularly bad at the game, I use a main bus and I am fairly competent at automating, all the good stuff. The truth is I eventually get overwhelmed by the insane demand for iron plates. My question for you is this: How do you overcome the tedium of setting up more smelters and miners and train systems for more iron?

    submitted by /u/Rahmstat
    [link] [comments]

    After working on a belt-heavy megabase for hours upon hours and nearly reaching my goal, I finally got burnt out. I took a brief break, and came back to start a water-heavy island-themed map that had been on my mind for a while. I present to you: "Water World."

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 06:05 PM PDT

    After working on a belt-heavy megabase for hours upon hours and nearly reaching my goal, I finally got burnt out. I took a brief break, and came back to start a water-heavy island-themed map that had been on my mind for a while. I present to you: "Water World."

    I Love Belts

    As my flair suggests, I absolutely love belts. Although I have over 500 hours in this game at the time of writing this post, I was always discouraged and uninterested in trains. Naturally, after becoming much more familiar with the base game, I took it upon myself to create a belt-heavy megabase. I had a ton of resources pooled onto a massive mega-bus, and I got the entire thing up to about 600SPM. My overall goal was to reach 1,000SPM, and although my megabase absolutely had the infrastructure to do so, copying and pasting massive blueprints just became tedious and non-enjoyable (for me). I decided to put this project down for a bit, because it felt counter-intuitive to be playing a game but not actually enjoying it.

    My Journey with Trains

    As the title mentions, I took a break from Factorio for a little while in order to focus on other games and tasks. Even when I wasn't playing, I was checking this sub regularly for ideas and inspiration, and I was planning future bases in my head. Naturally, the island-themed base was the next project I wanted to check off the list. Although I went into this project thinking that I would be using a ton of Cargo Ships and stray away from trains, the whole train network thing seemed to suddenly click for me. Instead, I used a mod that allowed train tracks to be built over water, and another that gave me water-walking. This lead to a train-heavy base (that still had a bus, because hey, I love belts and buses) that got me everything that I needed up to rocket launch.

    A Bit About Map Settings

    Although biters can be fun to deal with at times, I decided to go peaceful mode for this project. I was unsure of whether I wanted to deal with them or just remove them completely, so I settled for peaceful mode, in case I decided I wanted to go for a little biter-exterminating excursion down the road. I set the starting area to 200%, and with this on top of the island-themed map, I hardly had to deal with more than a single nest of biters before rocket launch. To achieve the island theme that I wanted, I incorporated a number of mods, which will all be listed below. Primarily, I used an Island World and Island Start map, as well as Alien Biomes to make things much more pretty. Resource settings were similar to that of a rail-world, although I increased richness slightly for all ores and iron prevalence a bit more than other ores.

    Honorable Mod Mentions

    Some noteworthy (but not all) mods that were used in this run:

    • Afraid of the Dark
    • Dectorio
    • Infinizoom
    • Island Start
    • Nanobots
    • Noxys_Swimming
    • Runspeed Toggle
    • SchallOverseasRailway
    • Water ores
    • Waterfill
    • Alien Biomes
    • Cheaper-Landfill
    • Far-Reach
    • Islands-World
    • Splatterguard

    And Now, for Some Screenshots!

    This is an overall Map View of almost the entire base. Most stuff is unloaded onto the bus at the beginning and then built upward from the bus. A few things are picked up and dropped off north of the bus via train. The little bit of rail/cargo ship path extending to the left juts out to a much further Island that I haven't built anything on yet. It's essentially there as framework for future expansion.

    Here's a zoomed out view of most of the main base using the Infinizoom mod. I added in waaaaaay more stackers than necessary with the mindset that, \"Well, I might need them eventually!\"

    This is the main Unloading and Smelting area. That 5th station up top is just used as a refueling station that I added in later in order to refuel trains that didn't stop elsewhere with a fuel source. It's probably not built ideally, but it got the job done.

    I call this \"Plastic and Sulfur Island.\" I wanted to have more islands dedicated to certain production, but they ended up mostly just being used as resource obtainment.

    Another loading area, this one for Oil and Copper. This was still part of the main island.

    Here's my messy mall! Although I generally enjoy creating bases with various blueprints I've found online or created in the past, I decided to take it upon myself to do most of my \"mall\" on my own this time. I do enjoy snaking and spaghetti-ing belts around to make things work and fit, so what started as multiple smaller malls just became this big (but effective) messy mega mall.

    I'm not by any means taking credit for this nuclear layout, I don't have the patience to come up with something as perfect and symmetrical as this. However, it absolutely got the job done for my late game power; I was probably only using like 1/10th of what it created. To the right is just more coal mining and coal/steam power from earlier on.

    I'm the world's worst artist. What started as an attempt to draw \"Snoot Island,\" an island that looked like the cute face and snout of my dog, quickly turned into what my gf dubbed \"Butthead Island.\" The name stuck.

    And lastly, here's the very end of the bus! Shoutout to the maker of alien biomes, this mod makes the game absolutely beautiful!

    I understand that this sub has a "One plug per Let's' Play" rule, so I have not previously posted any video links as far as I can remember. Although this is not a "Let's Play" series, I did create a video showcase of this base; if you feel like checking out the video version, or just stopping by to show me some love, you can do it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3SlteuXFJ8&list=PLVMQqFJABF9Y417Jp66j-zquAUSwdIyVD&index=2. (Reddit link wasn't working for some reason)

    submitted by /u/Tayabida
    [link] [comments]

    April Community Server

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 05:49 AM PDT

    I am hosting a community map server for April!You can join from the multiplayer list by searching Reddit Community April

    I kept the mod list fairly short, mostly QoL mods that I really like, but I also did the three mods suggested by Chaosbeing. If you're new to Factorio, or feel unexperienced, please feel free to join, us veterans will happily help you get the ropes.

    The in-game chat is linked to discord, so even if you don't see anyone playing I'll still get your messages. If you have trouble finding the map, or discord, message me on Reddit.

    Also we have a discord, so join us on discord! We don't bite! http://discord.gg/CwRwzRj

    submitted by /u/Galapagon
    [link] [comments]

    I was doing a lot of math in Factorio, which I enjoyed... untill I didn't, but today I decided to pick it up again, I had had some bad experiences with calculators but decided to check my math to see if it worked, well it works! Except it only has 1 module slot for smelters?? Is there a fix?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 08:59 AM PDT

    Is there a technical limitation preventing mods from adding roboport equipment with a logistics radius?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    Title says it all. I've looked around and can't find any mods that do that. I tried hacking together my own frankenstein creation from scraps of code and other mods, but the game seems to ignore the "logistics_radius" field in the context of equipment, the same parameter that is used for buildings. The only way I think it could possibly be done is with a proxy of a building roboport, but that's a whole mess of nonsense that I don't want to get into.

    submitted by /u/ExoFage
    [link] [comments]

    Factorio server map generation

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 08:28 AM PDT

    So, I've created a headless linux server (hardware owned by me and hosted in my house) to play with my friends. Only problem is, I didn't know there was an option to set "elevation" and that the default value is "0.17_island" which I guess you can imagine what kind of map creates.

    Thing is, I don't want to play on a map, and it took us a little long to figure out and we almost finished all researches.

    Is there a way to change this mid game (changing it on the config does not have an effect, it's encoded in the game files), because even trying to change the value in the save files themselves seems to just corrupt the world.

    Maybe a map editor where we can just paste the part of our map on another?

    Thank you for any advice.

    submitted by /u/guasta8
    [link] [comments]

    Gun turret inventory has no margin

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 01:17 PM PDT

    Expanding my factory more and more for resources, need multiple trains on single long tracks. Newest outposts are at the top-left and main base at bottom-right. Do i make multiple rails instead of one long? Or make a lot of intersections in between which can act as 'hubs'? Will train AI enter hubs?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 07:53 AM PDT

    YOU GET A DEDICATED SMELTER, YOU GET A DEDICATED SMELTER, EVERYONE GETS A DEDICATED SMELTER \o/

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 06:06 PM PDT

    Factorio Community Map - April 2020

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:42 PM PDT


    What is this?


    The idea behind the monthly community map is to share a map exchange string at the beginning of every month, and get as many people as we can to start a new world with it. Then at the end of the month (or even periodically if you'd prefer!) we share screenshots and saves of our factories so that we can see how different people approach the same spawn; how they set up their base, how they deal with aliens, and how they arrange their science, power, and everything else.

    I hope it can highlight how many different ways there are to do things, inspire some new designs, and maybe seeing how veteran Factorio players tackle problems will help out new players facing the exact same problems. (Of course, there's also the fact that it'll just be plain cool to see all of the different possible factories - the good, the bad, and the ugly.)


    Last Month's Results


    March 2020 Results


    The Community Map


    For those that haven't seen the results thread yet, go take a peek (preferably talk about how your March map went if you participated) and that'll save me from having to talk about this month's map twice~

    ... I've begun optimizing the monthly map threads, huh? I wonder how much faster a I could crank them out with a few beacons? How long would it take for me to automate them entirely? Hmm, I'll need to do more research on that subject. Until that can be determined, I have one last surprise in store for you:

    Optional mods:

    Factorissimo 2

    Rampant

    Modular Turrets

    Exchange string:

    >>>eNp1UT1oFFEQnsnlyCWCREkj5OeKtBcSExCC7nvaGBt7IUHv9t6F hbt9x+5ekYjkipSCYJc0WqQ6QUsRAgZsDDEgWES7iI2FhWgI6S4z9/b trasOzOw3f9/MvAW4DJegJ1IA7InCoKvL9RedjsMeReWIq5tNFZR0oN LhYTdoVVVJe3WAtkiKla8aa6VKOVSGkbUtCl6g/SxDPoy0/2ckCpQKD Z/RC62g7HutRrYX8OTaDWhvTva0uwHFbpeV0DHdwgrYpg4BSLFYcMLV fhToeilUUeT5q4sN7YVRK1CLFa8cFmZn5mZZ8m7dq9UAijdJb/FMRHw 49vL21/UdgYZrRuLCPMvvOLJXkXHqjgV35X9T0xYsWHAmcN4SJsAMjW hEXFWQfWCSm5xEfH3fuTe3fOjg04ONpbePVgQuvdrd/nXUcSg5zMcPJ GZ7i+WNPQUs57GIU18EHn5g+SFwkDtG2TQrZB58zpF7kdDzx2SK42BX cyzNmMRaT07tJd8s+CSyd9BDXGfySTbv2eQhoaTN0ED5RKKcstkr/RL qvwrpHar9C/ft2Hep+ZlF/v4R6TsykWn5j98wwgOrifmeS7ah9/w4ZD 35TGKOAVedUMx4nLFU5jsqc6kX+CngaHcqfw5aW7a4<<< 

    What your starting area should look like:

    https://i.imgur.com/NeINYMq.jpg

    Since I had a hard time deciding on which direction to swing this map, I figured allowing a few interesting mods to make things easier or harder as you liked would be the best compromise I'd be able to manage. So take whatever of the optional mods you'd like, if any, and give the map a go. Hope it entertains you through this month (or at least a fair chunk of it) and leave any suggestions for additional interesting optional mods below that won't break a game if added midway - I might just add some to the list over the next two or three days.

    By the way, did I mention yet that the ores will be practicing a sort of social distancing of their own? ...No? Well, I guess that's the last surprise then, isn't it? Never saw that coming!


    Exchange String Help


    If anyone isn't sure how to use an exchange string, just go to new game like you're going to generate a new world, and at the bottom there's a button just above play labelled "Import map exchange string" - the icon looks lik a little arrow going into a tray/bucket. Just copy the exchange string above and paste it into the box that comes up when you press that button. Press confirm, and that's it! You're good to go. Just generate the world and come back in a month to show us how your factory turned out!

    If you run into any issues check to make sure that you copied the whole string, including the three greater than/lesser than signs at the beginning and end, and make sure that your Factorio is up to date with the most recent version installed. (As of the time of this post, the most recent version of Factorio is 0.18.17.)


    Let's Players


    If you are a streamer or let's player who will be recording yourself building a new factory on a community map, I'd be happy to add a link to your channel here!


    Multiplayer Servers


    If you have an open public server, let me know in the comments below or send me a PM and I'll add your server here!


    About Mods


    Since mods can affect how a world spawns and ores are distributed, as well as add or change items and functionality, it's important to make sure that we're all playing the same game by the same rules. For example, if one person's playing vanilla and someone else is playing with Bob's mods, even if they use the same seed and map settings you still couldn't very well say they were playing the same game, and the way they'd play would differ enormously.

    On the other hand, playing with mods that either don't add any new items or change terrain, or that simply don't change the base game in a significant way, aren't going to change the way you solve problems or the kinds of problems you'll face themselves. As such, these sorts of mods are perfectly fine, even if some people are playing with them and some people aren't.

    Even Distribution is a wonderful example of a mod that, while very useful, does not inherently change the way the game is played. Then there are also mods like RadarPlus for RSO that do add new items, but still don't really change the way the game is played.

    I've decided to put together a list of these optional mods that I think are ok to use on any map below. The list is by no means comprehensive; it simply serves as an example of the sorts of mods that should be fine.


    Optional Mods


    Note: I can't imagine any situation where this could be an issue, but if you're the author of one of the mods listed here (and can offer me some proof of this) and for whatever reason would like me to remove your mod from this post, I'd be happy to comply.

    It's entirely possible some of these mods either don't work with the current version of Factorio, conflict with each other, or in some manner just don't work. I can't test them all, let alone every configuration of them, so you might wanna back up your world before adding one of these.

    Atomic Artillery

    Auto Deconstruct

    Automatic Fill

    Auto-Blueprintify Text

    Better Icons

    Bottleneck

    Cardinal

    Chem Flip

    Clock

    Color Coding

    Credo Time Lapse Mod up to 0.18

    Dirt Path Redux

    Ekusplosion

    Enhanced Map Colors

    Even Distribution

    EvoGUI

    FactorioMaps Timelapse

    Factorio NEI

    FARL

    FNEI

    Foreman

    Gah! DarnItWater!

    Helmod

    Long Reach

    LTN - Logistics Train Network

    Manual Inventory Sorting

    Max Rate Calculator

    Module Inserter

    Nanobots: Early Bots

    Natural Tree Expansion Reloaded

    Nixie Tubes

    Orphan Finder

    Picker Extended Version

    Quick Item Swap

    RadarPlus For RSO

    Recursive Blueprints

    Recursive Blueprints Extended

    Remove Mod Names

    Sensible Station Names

    Slower Quickreplace

    Squeak Through

    The FAT Controller

    There Is My Ghost

    Train Supply Manager (TSM)

    Undergound Indicators

    Unminable Robots

    VehicleSnap

    WaiTex

    What is it really used for?

    YARM


    Previous Threads


    -- 2019 --

    March 2019 - Results

    April 2019 - Results

    May 2019 - Results

    June 2019 - Results

    July 2019 - Results

    August 2019 - Results

    September-October - Results

    November 2019 - Results

    December 2019 - Results

    -- 2020 --

    January-February 2020 - Results

    March 2020 - Results

    submitted by /u/ChaosBeing
    [link] [comments]

    I’m new to this game, is it normal that everything I built looks awful and unorganized ?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:15 AM PDT

    I started playing yesterday and it's a lot of fun! But everything I do leads to chaos. I cannot describe to you how bad everything looks that I build during the campaign so far lol. Everything is all over the place. I've seen so many pictures where everything looks neat and organized. Do I need more practice or is it possible to just be really bad at this game?

    Edit: Thank you guys, I feel very encouraged by your comments! I will keep growing my factory and hopefully get a little better at this game eventually haha

    submitted by /u/venooa
    [link] [comments]

    20 hours gets me a lot further than it used to

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 03:24 PM PDT

    Factorio Community Map Results - March 2020

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 08:43 PM PDT


    Time's Up


    Hands off the keyboard! Another month has come to a close, and it's time to share whatever you've got done with the rest of us!

    Did you finish everything you would have liked to this time around, or did you wind up still having a few big, unfinished plans? Run into any particular issues, or were you pumping those rockets out like nobody's business? Here's the place to share your stories, screenshots, saves, or whatever else you've got!


    This Month


    It's crazy to look back at the beginning of the month and think about how different things are since then. I don't want to make another one of those full on coronavirus posts, but I also can't avoid mentioning it entirely. I hope all of you guys are safe, stay that way, and do your part to keep those around you safe as well. Like I said though, let's not dwell on that; it's time for map submissions again!

    With all the extra time I know a lot of you guys had, I wonder if we're going to see a higher number of submissions than usual. I know a lot of people play the map that never post their bases for one reason or another, so with some added time maybe they were able to polish things up to their personal standard. Looking forward to seeing some posts by some of you lurkers. ; P


    Next Month


    Being that, at least where I live, pretty much everything is shut down and it's hard to say when that's going to end, I thought a lot about what kind of map to create. Something hardcore for those experienced players among us to dump endless hours into? Another calm map, for the deluge of new player's we're likely to see?

    Trying to aim for the middle is generally my first reaction, but a compromise here wound up being the worst of both worlds: Too easy for the veterans, and alienating to new players. I decided I'd scroll through the front page of the sub and that would be my tie breaker. By a fair margin, new players have poured in even more so than I'd expected, so I'm going to make a pretty relaxed map - but I'm going to make everything more expensive. It's an unusual option I've only ever played with once, and I felt like it struck the right balance of mixing things up for experienced players (by throwing off the usual ratios) and keeping things accessible to newer players.

    As always, comments and suggestions on future maps are welcome, and now it's your turn. Let's see what you've got!


    Previous Threads


    -- 2019 --

    March 2019 - Results

    April 2019 - Results

    May 2019 - Results

    June 2019 - Results

    July 2019 - Results

    August 2019 - Results

    September-October - Results

    Novemeber 2019 - Results

    December 2019 - Results

    -- 2020 --

    January-February 2020 - Results

    March 2020 - Results

    submitted by /u/ChaosBeing
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment