• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 29, 2020

    Factorio Weekly Question Thread

    Factorio Weekly Question Thread


    Weekly Question Thread

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 10:05 AM PST

    Ask any questions you might have.

    Post your bug reports on the Official Forums


    Previous Threads


    Subreddit rules

    Discord server (and IRC)

    Find more in the sidebar ---->

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Winners of the giveaway!

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 07:22 PM PST

    I was recently hospitalised. Luckily I brought my laptop and Factorio keeps me happy.

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 06:45 AM PST

    Excessive? How so?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 03:14 AM PST

    Guys ,am I doing this Nuclear power right???

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 05:00 PM PST

    I thought it would be faster, but... damn...

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 07:11 PM PST

    Today, with some help from YouTubers and at around 720 hours in, I join the 2% of players who have discovered there is no spoon!

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 07:37 PM PST

    A friend who is new to the game asked me to help him with his trainsetup. I joined him just to discover this, reminding me of my first base.

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 12:31 PM PST

    Wanted to centralize my mall. This is everything useful I can make with no oil. v2 will include stack inserters and accumulators. Not the most efficient, but it's my first attempt at creating something complex and new.

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 09:30 PM PST

    The one megatrain base project (1 RPM)

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 08:04 AM PST

    Hi everyone !

    First a small disclaimer : English is not my native language :)

    I had this idea of creating a megabase consisting of only one train that would produce 1 rocket per minute (the same idea for science seems too compicated for now)

    The concept :

    The one train would be long enough to carry every ressources needed to create one rocket every minute and it would stop at station along the way to transform the ressources it has in its inventory into more complicated ones.

    For that to work, every raw ressources must be loaded at the start of the line, then be transformed into more advance ressources at different stations until we have everything to launch one rocket (at which point no other ressources should be left on the train). The train then comes back to the starting point to reload the raw ressources needed for everything

    What I have so far :

    So far, I managed to create stations that will unload and load onto the train an exact amount of items. That is important because the same items will be needed for multiple receipe so we don't want say all the iron to be unloaded to the green circuit stop (we need some left for steel and such)

    I also started to calculate the exact amount of ressources requires to create one rocket per minute (down to the raw ressources) taking into account the productivity and speed modules

    Where i'm stuck and open for ideas :

    The issue I have now is that I don't know how to organize and optimize the train in a smart way, I need to take into account the stack size of items, and the amount needed at each station to know in which wagon the stuff can be unloaded and loaded.

    Each wagon has 40 slots but because each ressources has its own stack size, one wagon can't load the same amount of each item.

    I also want to use barrels rather than liquid tanks, which add a new item types to consider.

    This point is critical because I need to know the number of wagon to know the train length

    Anyways I hope you understood the concept, and I hope some of you will be able to help me on that part :)

    submitted by /u/AlternativeSystem117
    [link] [comments]

    Tested positive for COVID on the 21st, my friend bought me Factorio to take me through self-isolation. I am now 20 hours in and about to start the hunt for uranium. There's lots of room for improvement I know, but I'm oddly proud of my first base.

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 09:23 AM PST

    [1.1.x Experimental] TIL when stepping over an oil spot, it makes a splashing sound

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 05:19 PM PST

    Pretty happy with my automated logistics train stop. Can request & supply at the same stop, with no limit to the number of resources per stop

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 08:03 AM PST

    95hrs in to my 1K SMP base. Through purple packs

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 11:54 PM PST

    I might have overdone my Kovarex setup

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 03:52 PM PST

    My attempt at sushi-belting a rocket to space

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 01:00 PM PST

    Second playthrough went well...

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 08:51 PM PST

    How do you make spaghetti factories???

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 05:23 AM PST

    I've seen lots of people with vastly different factories compared to mine, and I'd like to know if there's a simple way to sum up how to make them. Whenever I start building my factory, I always think that I'm doing something wrong, or maybe this is a common factory design. Right now, the way my factory runs is dependent on what I need to make. Say I need an electric circuit: I'll build a drill and cover the output with a furnace, and use an inserter to carry the iron plates onto a conveyor belt that will lead them to the main automation machine. Then, I'll build the same stuff, but instead of going to the main machine, I make a separate one that makes copper wire. I use inserters to put the plates in and take the wires out and use another line of conveyor belts to bring the wire to the main automation machine. It may work, but it's not very efficient, and eventually, I'll run out of room for all of my drills. Is there a foundation for a good spaghetti factory I can use, or should I just stick with my current base?

    submitted by /u/coolguysami
    [link] [comments]

    Leaving the game AFK?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 08:28 AM PST

    Does any one do this? I have launched my first rocket and have plopped down a couple big base blueprints that require a lot of resources. I have the parts being produced, albeit slowly, because I don't have huge smelters...yet. I have construction robots covering the entirety of the areas being built. Should I just let it run for a while when I'm at work and work on getting the ore smelters and train network set up when I get home? Or is there a better way?

    submitted by /u/fuelstaind
    [link] [comments]

    My friend made a cool music machine in factorio!

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 11:42 PM PST

    Five and a half hours into a Bob's playthrough... never thought I would be so happy to see a yellow belt factory.

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 07:11 AM PST

    20 hours in, Need to reorganize, and kill some bugs

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 04:15 AM PST

    How can I be alerted of low coal on another site?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 06:26 AM PST

    First off, I just want to say that since buying this game a week ago, I've had sleepless nights, and I haven't had time to enjoy Christmas because the factory must grow.

    Anyway, I only have around 80 hours in the game so far, and I've come across an issue that I need some advice and help to ammend this.

    Basically, I have a site set up quite far from my main factory. This site is for mining iron and copper, smelting them to bars, and loading them on a train that travels back and forth from this site to my main site. When the train is fully loaded, it travels back to my main factory and drops the bars off, but is also loaded with coal to take back to the iron/copper site to be unloaded to help fuel the furnaces and steam power plants.

    I've set the train rules that it must only depart from the iron/copper site once both cargo wagons are full of copper and iron bars respectively, and a rule that all the coal that was taken was also unloaded entirely. The issue I have now is that there's too much coal at iron/copper site, so the train doesn't return as there's some coal left in the cargo.

    I need all of the bars I can get, so I can't set it to return on a timer; as it has sometimes returned with only half the amount of bars. I tried to just prevent it from taking coal at all for a while, but then I forget and the train doesn't come back because there's been a power cut on the copper/iron site because of a lack of coal.

    Is there any way I can set something up so that the train will only be loaded with coal if the amount of coal in the coal boxes at the iron/copper site, and can I somehow do this wirelessly (as making huge power lines does not seem practical given how far away the base is from my main base)?

    At the very least, is it possible I can be notified somehow that the site is running low on coal, so I now to set my inserters to start loading the train again once it returns?

    I hope this doesn't seem too complicated as I know I'm bad at explaining myself with this game. I've tried Googling the answer, but I don't seem to find the answer I'm looking for that doesn't require mods, which I'm trying to avoid for a while until I'm familiar with the vanilla game.

    Thanks for any help, and I'm really enjoying learning more about this game.

    submitted by /u/meconate
    [link] [comments]

    How worth it is it to build a full perimeter?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 06:11 AM PST

    As the title says I'm about 20 or so hours into my third base and producing around 1.5SPS and my pollution is starting to get pretty large. I've just been going around and clearing biters at the edge of my pollution cloud but starting to think I should set up a perimeter. Seems like a waste of resources tho and curious as to what all of your opinions are.

    Edit: Changed SPM to SPS, as some comments pointed out I had the time unit off!

    submitted by /u/Dr_cherrypopper
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment