• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 22, 2019

    Factorio Weekly Question Thread

    Factorio Weekly Question Thread


    Weekly Question Thread

    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 11:04 AM PDT

    Ask any questions you might have.

    Post your bug reports on the Official Forums


    Previous Threads


    Subreddit rules

    Discord server (and IRC)

    Find more in the sidebar ---->

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth playing with Biters

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 04:12 AM PDT

    For reference I just bought the game 2 days ago and have made it up to the blue science kit. I left my refinery and then came back and half of it was destroyed. Now resources aren't an issue but it was a pain having to build everything and place where it should be. Furthermore I've now realised I have to pay greater detail to defences and I'm not sure if that's as fun as automating my factory.

    So a question for the more experienced players do you think the biters add a dynamic to the game that I have yet to realise?

    submitted by /u/Jack_Kegan
    [link] [comments]

    Presenting the Tileable Assembler of Common Objects system. It's a modular, extendable mall with a standard I/O system for ease of use.

    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 06:47 PM PDT

    Basic Train Question: Where do I put signals on this network to stop the trains smashing into each other?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 12:45 PM PDT

    Save/load menu, will it be reworked or can it be modded?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 04:43 AM PDT

    I have a few issues with the save/load screen:

    There is no way to sort by activity (most recent save).

    It would be nice if there was a structure, the game create a folder when you start a new game, now all your new saves will be in this new folder for easy access.

    Sorting by playtime with some icons representing the point in game (e.g. rocket launched/robot researched).

    For modders, i would like to know if it could be modded to add what i would want or if there is no way to alter this kind of UI.

    submitted by /u/HeyIAmInfinity
    [link] [comments]

    How to kill big biters?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 08:11 AM PDT

    Normal gun turrets do almost nothing to them. Lasers take too long to kill them. Flame turrets seem to be the only thing to be able to deal with them. I'm on my first deathworld and the only way I can deal with their bases is slowly making a flame turret line with walls extending from my line of oil pipes and constantly repairing them until the bases are dead. Any other ideas??

    submitted by /u/LtDan1988
    [link] [comments]

    PermaDeath 11 - So close, So close

    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 02:44 PM PDT

    PermaDeath 11 - So close, So close

    PD8, PD9, PD10

    In this series, I start a vanilla game with default settings+research queue. I DO NOT preview the map and I attempt to take the base as far as I can in one life. If I get hit by a train, slip on some biter spit or blow myself up with a rocket, that's it. Game over. PermaDeath. I loved playing hardcore mode on Minecraft and this gives me that special thrill. I know it isn't how most people prefer to play the game, but I hope you at least enjoy watching my frustration as my engineer is constantly killed and reincarnated into a new challenge.

    Not a bad spawn. Ore patches are a bit far away from each other, so a lot of walking at the start will be required. I like how it is nestled into this little plot of land between lakes. I should be able to use those as choke points to get a foothold on the early game. Also nice to spawn in an area with trees so that I don't have map-wide pollution within 30 minutes.

    https://i.redd.it/wzpy1bu3nyt31.png

    I spent some time in the sandbox trying to put together some compact and ratio correct designs. I made blueprints and then built them by hand from there on this map. The idea here is still using the resource only belt and pulling the smelting I need for each individual science as discreet modules. I was able to come up with a decent design that incorporates red, green and mil science. (lower left) and I also managed to cobble together a nice mini-mall to get things going.

    Definitely the fastest I've gotten to military and besides the cumbersome nature of trying to build from blueprints, a pretty painless path to get there.

    https://i.redd.it/na1dg37fnyt31.png

    Close up of RGM science module

    https://i.redd.it/jmitx3gynyt31.png

    Close up of mini mall. This is the most involved mall I've ever built and I'm still not using blueprints for this. It is a largly improvisational effort. Which I like as it juxtaposes nicely with the thought out and pre-planned science module. :)

    https://i.redd.it/m0chh2y0oyt31.png

    I spent some time beefing up the perimeter while my radars scanned for more resources. A small oil patch to the west and more iron just to the west. Very close to the base! That's the best secondary iron patch I've ever gotten in this series.

    https://i.redd.it/3jdcbol8oyt31.png

    Blue Science Completed and this is the fastest by far I've ever gotten here. This is usually where I am starved for materials, getting killed by biters or otherwise overwhelmed by the entropy of it all. But so far feeling totally confident and in control.

    https://i.redd.it/l700q4nhoyt31.png

    Here is both science modules in context. RGMB all in production now.

    https://i.redd.it/5kqns4xooyt31.png

    Purple came online as easy as pie. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm probably out of the running for spoon, but no chit chat not impossible and for sure feeling like this will be my fastest run ever.

    https://i.redd.it/o8dojiquoyt31.png

    Got yellow set up without any real issues. Almost there!!

    https://i.redd.it/krriaab4pyt31.png

    I've got all the research queued up as I start to strategize towards space science. I didn't make a blueprint for that so I'll have to just wing it.

    https://i.redd.it/mrpo9jc8pyt31.png

    Suddenly...

    https://i.redd.it/tp9vst5dpyt31.png

    I had a few holes in my defense it seems and biters put a pretty good dent in both yellow production and my main power plant.

    https://i.redd.it/kbmkk86gpyt31.png

    https://i.redd.it/5dvcyn3lpyt31.png

    Total overview of the base shows that I haven't really had to expand that much. resources are strong and I only need to give the bus a tiny buff to start space science. The main thing I need is to capture the copper mine to the west. But first I needed to fix a bottleneck in my iron train.

    https://i.redd.it/ws8yqiuopyt31.png

    The biters were easily defeated and the copper mine was secured. I headed back to the base to get a few materials to build the outpost. I stopped by the Iron Mine to address those problems mentioned earlier. I would need some new blue inserters and I didn't have the materials needed to craft them. I could just jump the iron train back to the base, hop into the mall, grab some blue inserters and then hop on the iron train back. Build the copper mine, start space science. launch rocket. easy peasy.

    https://i.redd.it/rmh5fk61qyt31.png

    I tried to hop a moving train. I hit SHIFT instead of ENTER and ran right into the tracks. So close. So, so close. :( I think I could have got the no chit chat on this run!

    https://i.redd.it/oqf31zkbqyt31.png

    EPILOGUE
    Definitely my best game of the series and I think my best game of all time. Even though the pre-made blueprints made things go a little smoother and make it look like I know what I'm doing a little better, I actually didn't enjoy the process. Just putting down ghost images and then building on top of it felt very tedious. I like the designs and It's a good idea, but I think I will be going back to improvisation. I will study the designs and keep working up blueprints in sandbox, but if I can't remember the principles of efficiency well enough to build the base on the fly, I don't think I will be having fun. I definitely learned a lot by sitting down and designing science modules in god mode, but I felt no satisfaction when actually deploying the blueprints.

    I also need to remember to put all main resources on the mall bus from the beginning. Otherwise, by the time I need steel, I end up having to make it more convoluted than necessary. I want to spend more time creating mall inventory as well.

    I also think I need to plan for at least 2 lines of copper and 2 lines of iron ore on my bus from the beginning. In a PERFECT game that one full bus of iron ore and one full bus of copper ore would be enough to get to a rocket, but no game is ever perfect and around blue science, ore starts to get starved.

    I learned a lot more about trains on this run and have started to embrace the 2-way loop model. I'm understanding simple junctions and how to use chain signals to move traffic and rail signals to improve throughput. I'd also like to get into circuits soon. Maybe a simple one that alerts me visually (with a red light perhaps?) if an ammo box is empty on my turret wall.

    Thanks for following along!

    submitted by /u/moms_spaghetti_base
    [link] [comments]

    [Krastorio] Is my math wrong, or does converting coal into coke in a multifunctio furnace increase the fuel value?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 08:45 AM PDT

    30 coal = 30x5 = 150MJ

    18 coke = 18x10 = 180MJ

    Furnace energy consumed = 9x0.35 = 3.15MJ

    About 25 MJ fuel gained, in addition to the much needed resource for Iron beam and steel and being a denser energy source.

    submitted by /u/VaderOnReddit
    [link] [comments]

    Don't hate me, I just don't see the point

    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    Before I start this, please minimize the hate! It's my own opinion.

    I am having a hard time understanding why everyone can do this. I mean, some of you have proper stable jobs that require 8 or more hours a day at dedication. Most the time, you guys wake up in the morning, play factorio, go to work, and then play factorio; hell, some of yall play factorio at work. My question is to all you factorio players, how do you manage your life with factorio always being stuck in your mind? At this point, I think I'm just gonna go play some more factorio. I don't see the point in working if this game is so good and you must help the factory grow...

    submitted by /u/jtrudeau1530
    [link] [comments]

    Maybe dumb question regarding multiplayer

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 02:28 AM PDT

    Hey people, A Friend and I try to play together, at first it worked perfect, but after I moved he can't connect any more, a other friend can without any problem, So my question is does anyone has any idea what's wrong or even how to fix it ? Sorry for my bad English not native speaker, And thanks for all answers already

    submitted by /u/Kalmund
    [link] [comments]

    Unmatching Pollution Values?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 03:08 PM PDT

    Map settings

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 05:36 AM PDT

    Is there a set of settings that will allow the ore patches to get larger and more spread apart the further away the player gets from their starting position? Rail world is what I want end game, but I'd like closer to the default settings for starting out.

    submitted by /u/BossmanSlim
    [link] [comments]

    100% achievements speedrun by Nefrums is now live

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 08:48 AM PDT

    A (Probably) Overly-Complicated 4-way 4-lane Rail Intersection

    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 06:15 PM PDT

    A (Probably) Overly-Complicated 4-way 4-lane Rail Intersection

    I was inspired by a crazy new intersection in my (RL) city to translate the concept into a factorio rail intersection. I'm not really sure if it is good for anything, but I thought I would share it to see what others think.

    The basic idea is that right turns are as simplified as possible (only the outer lanes can make right turns, but there are lane interchanges before/after). Left turns are handled in 2 stages. First the trains cross over the parallel traffic. There's room to buffer 1 train for each lane (it's designed for 3-8 trains) in a left turn lane before it crosses over the perpendicular direction of traffic and completes the turn.

    Not sure if this is very novel or not, but I've not seen it around. Feedback is welcome, especially if anyone wants to test it.

    Best guess at some pros:

    • Looks pretty neat, has a nice sort of chaotic symmetry.
    • Probably better performance than a more compact 4-way when left turns are common.
    • It's chunk-align-able!

    Cons:

    • It's enormous. 7x7 chunks. Even for a 3-8 intersection that's not small.
    • The actual intersection zone is really long because of the pairs of left turn junctions, might actually decrease throughput under some circumstances. Might be a wash because the overall time spent crossing left is much lower for each direction.

    Best attempt at a screenshot at max zoom:

    https://i.redd.it/rewz4310tzt31.jpg

    !blueprint https://pastebin.com/j7hgVaLz

    submitted by /u/macrofinite
    [link] [comments]

    Help with the Factorio Planner

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 08:24 AM PDT

    Help with the Factorio Planner

    Hi Reddit:

    I'd just like to confirm I am interpreting the Factorio planner correctly. Based on the below output, is it (roughly) true to sa that to produce 100 Green Circuits per minute, I need to have:

    1) 2 Green Circuit Level 1 Assemblers

    2) 3 Copper Wire Level 1 Assemblers

    3) The amount per minute of copper and iron described

    https://i.redd.it/1yk3wn9s04u31.png

    submitted by /u/Z1GG0MAT1K
    [link] [comments]

    Built my first Single Player (slightly modded) Rocket!

    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 10:28 PM PDT

    Built my first Single Player (slightly modded) Rocket!

    https://i.redd.it/cbziy4e311u31.jpg

    Finished my first single player rocket after 73 hours (includes some afk time and staring way too long at enriching uranium (it kinda has the same effect as a lava lamp))

    I play another game with friends and we started more that 400 rockets but its a good feeling to accomplish it by myself. my factory still needs alot more production (chips and solidfuel) so ill be spending more time on that save.

    submitted by /u/Wilm4RRrr_Butzen
    [link] [comments]

    Bob/Angels designs

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 05:37 AM PDT

    Hi guys I'm new to reddit but I've been playing Bob + angels for quite a while and I have some interesting designs I'd like to share.

    But I don't know where or how :/

    submitted by /u/Ek0sh
    [link] [comments]

    Progressing into more complex LTN / Circuit Activity.

    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 07:46 PM PDT

    Hello Factorians, Engineers, and all alike.

    I've recently been giving myself odd senses of confidence by tackling things I would've normally put off 'cause low self-esteem me would find them daunting, but I took a huge leap the other day.

    I've been trying to plan out my ideal base that I would be able to follow into any game I played, and once I gained an understanding around this, I would try other methods of playing as well. Currently, I'm trying to tackle making a full robot / beltless base.

    This is a test map that I am preparing.

    This playthrough uses several mods, most notably BobAngels.

    (I also have some angels extended mods that I contemplate whether or not I need to use them).

    My design started with these "Cityblocks" I've seen others build. I looked up a few designs and eventually decided to make my own design using elements I learned from others. (Thank you JonnyNof, Xantaxia, etc. For inspiration.)

    >! https://imgur.com/a/cqHRSV0 !<

    I've included a picture of mapview, showing the design in it's preferred but imperfect state, and the console that LTN spits to me.

    The general idea is, that the Base is fully modular and expandable, and each block has its own logistic network with 250 bots. Later designs will include 50 construction blocks for perimeter blocks to repair walls against biters. You expand the block when you're ready to add a section. In this example playthrough, once you finish your starter base your first block can consist of anything, ideally processing for basic materials which can provide to other blocks. An example I was thinking of is the first block consist of items that only require Iron Plates. Trains would bring in the iron plates, and load up and leave with any materials made required at other locations, e.x. a second block making secondary materials that may require gears, iron sticks, etc.

    Each time I solved a problem, a new one introduced itself.

    The LTN Depot also is where the trains refuel. and although I wanted to make it grid-based, the 3-spaced train layout wouldn't allow, so I accepted it wouldn't be grid aligned, but still be symmetrical in the actual cityblock layout.

    I am very new to LTN, and as of writing this post, I currently know how to request and provide to locations and just barely know how to set up arithmetic combinators to limit input / output.

    Now, I decided to use miniloaders to unload my trains into active chests, then i chose to load them into Angel's Warehouses, reason being that the miniloaders can be connected to wires as well and can directly interact with train wagons, but I think this is what is hindering me from correctly loading a train with multiple items, without having to filter it myself (as ltn would probably send that train somewhere else)

    I read somewhere that if an LTN station requests more than one item, it will automatically split the request in the train wagon and deliver the appropriate materials. This is where I am stuck.

    I still need a way to "talk to" the requester station as currently I have Buffer Silos that requests from the network to provide to the trains, but can't figure out how to tell LTN to, hypothetically speaking, put 1000 iron plates, 1000 copper plates, 500 concrete, etc to provide to a location that would need all those items. I believe I could do this with the Arithmetic Combinator, but I do not have the express knowledge of how that would work, and to add insult to injury, currently the stations are set up to allow one train, and to request 1000 of whatever that specific network block needs to operate (e.x, LTN having a train deliver iron ore to a crushing facility).

    I also have the issue of either not having enough per wagon (which I plan to fix by upgrading the trains to 1 - 4 - 1) or by having LTN allow more than one car to sit in wait at the station. Also, due to over / under filling, I had to turn off the 2sec activity pause (but with loaders this works in my favor if it's just one item, but not if it's multiple items). Though I wasn't too keen on re-doing the stations to allow more trains as currently each block has two inputs and two outputs.

    I was pretty proud overall of the design and commitment I put into the build, and would love to learn more and get over theses hurdles, and possibly learn the most efficient way to load / unload cargo wagons at the stations and overall have a harmonious base of singing trains and robots.

    Overall, I'd also like to know how you feel about the design, and if you think it is efficient or not.

    (Originally, I set up "perfect ratios" for angels fluids using barrels, but decided I'd rather have a request be filled and stay full over time (hence the large silos) and have the need to upgrade once said resource has demand over supply)

    Thank you for your assistance, and thank you for taking the time to read this confusing mess.

    P.S. Enjoy this signaling layout I made by staring at a reference post (thank you again Xantaxia) for 30 minutes. I used to get all four block colors, but when blueprinted they match up. Not sure why that happens. https://imgur.com/a/ogtjTzg

    The block design originally was based off of two-space train width, which would've been fine, but I read somewhere that three spaces was the optimal length and (as you can see from the design) I kind of wanted this to be "good" the first time, save for the hours I've spent sprucing up the little mistakes or changes made to it.

    The intersection originally was straight and diagnonal passes (will post pictures later) then upgraded to a reversed version of what it is today. I spun it the first time cause that direction allowed better train flow from inside the junction itself, where the train didn't need to make an unnecessary curvature costing roughly 2 extra seconds of travel, then I redid it to accommodate the three-wide train spacing.

    P.P.S. Here's a string to the blueprint for the cityblock I currently use and I updated the stations to have circuit access. You will need Bobs for the Roboport Extensions and a mod called Inlaid Lamps for the lights I used. This is an untiled version. Here are some photos that show the range and an optional placement of the range extenders.

    String: https://pastebin.com/BrcC3R2b

    Bob's Mods: https://mods.factorio.com/user/Bobingabout

    Inlaid Lamps: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/InlaidLampsExtended

    Inlaid Lamps (Original 0.16 Ver): https://mods.factorio.com/mod/InlaidLamps

    Imgur Album showing the blueprint: https://imgur.com/a/ly2eizR

    submitted by /u/xChitose
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment