• Breaking News

    Monday, August 9, 2021

    Factorio Weekly Question Thread

    Factorio Weekly Question Thread


    Weekly Question Thread

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 09:00 PM PDT

    Ask any questions you might have.

    Post your bug reports on the Official Forums


    Previous Threads


    Subreddit rules

    Discord server (and IRC)

    Find more in the sidebar ---->

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Trying out my new tank ammo depot..

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 10:16 PM PDT

    I finally feel like my start is not horrible. I'm still scared I'm screwing something up. Critique me please.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 07:29 PM PDT

    You can use folders to organize your saves

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 09:19 AM PDT

    My 7 yo nephew kept talking about crafting in Minecraft. I don’t have my laptop, but hold my beer!

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 07:21 AM PDT

    Introducing... Recipe Book 3.0! More information than you could possibly ever need.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 07:34 PM PDT

    Introducing... Recipe Book 3.0! More information than you could possibly ever need.

    Hello, me again! I'm back with another mod advertisement!

    TL;DR: Recipe Book was majorly updated - FNEI on steroids with a pretty interface - do check it out.

    I have spent altogether too long - the better part of four months - completely redesigning my Recipe Book mod to be bigger, meaner, and better. The mod has been out for quite a long time, but until now, it was just "good". Now, I think it's "great".

    So, what is Recipe Book? To put it simply, it's a modern version of FNEI:

    More information than you could ever want!

    As you can see, with a modset like Pyanodon's Alien Life, there is a lot of information available to you. Recipe Book has information on all of these things:

    • Crafters
    • Fluids
    • Fuel categories
    • Groups
    • Items
    • Labs
    • Mining Drills
    • Offshore pumps
    • Recipes
    • Recipe categories
    • Resources
    • Resource categories
    • Technologies

    Basically, if you wish to know something, Recipe Book will probably have it. You can view the recipes an item is used in, what mining drills are compatible with what resources, which fuels (solid or liquid) are compatible with which machines, all of the different temperature ranges and variations each fluid has, and more. It is indispensable for those wishing to tackle large modpacks.

    Recipe Book supports multiple windows, filtering searches by category, opening quick reference panels for recipes, and has numerous settings to tailor the experience just how you want it. It has a plethora of information available for reference.

    Recipe Book's dedicated settings GUI.

    However, the biggest feature of the mod by far is how you interact with it. There is a search GUI as you can see in the screenshot above, but that is not the primary way to open the information page for something. All you need to do to view information about something is to hover over it in-game and hit Control + B:

    Hovering the glassworks and using the hotkey opened a page all about it!

    This works for things in the game world, as well as in vanilla GUIs. Another favorite of mine is seeing info about the ingredients or product of a recipe:

    Nice and convenient!

    During playtesting, I discovered that I almost never had to use the search function, because if I wanted to look up something, I was usually in a place where I already had access to it. So, selecting stuff this way is the default interaction method (Control + B) while search is the backup method (Control + Shift + B). It is a feature that I don't know how I ever lived without.

    Another big focus of Recipe Book is performance. Mods like FNEI and WIIRUF (What is it really used for) find all of their information on-the-fly. This is fine for vanilla or near-vanilla, but when you have over 25,000 recipes in a large modpack, it can slow down quite a bit. For this reason, Recipe Book generates all of its data in advance (when you load the save file), then just displays the already calculated information. This has the advantage of significantly better performance overall, with the caveat that loading your game will take a bit longer.

    I hope that was enough to convince you that Recipe Book is worth your time. I am really proud of how this rewrite turned out, so I hope you will give it a shot the next time you play a modpack!

    Download on the Mod Portal

    Recipe Book on GitHub

    submitted by /u/Raiguard
    [link] [comments]

    No Iron in sight on my Rail-Deathworld. Suggestions pls!

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 02:28 AM PDT

    1. How to mirror structures by axis? Rotation is not that I want 2. How to make deconstruct/build actions done only by your personal robots? Not stationary roboports

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 12:56 AM PDT

    My original world from 2015 (I'd keep going back and updating it)

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 06:54 PM PDT

    Everybody talking about spaghetti.. So Theres mine. But im proud of reactor i made! What do you think? (reup 2, images issue..)

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 07:05 PM PDT

    So relaxing building a starter base

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 05:58 AM PDT

    Reddit suggested this sub to me a couple weeks ago...

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 11:05 AM PDT

    I downloaded the demo from steam and finished the tutorial. I bought the full game this past week and Last night I automated blue science. Ive got 16 labs with research moving well. Im not sure where to go next but im guessing it will work itself out like the blue science did. Amazing game. Thanks for the suggestion.

    submitted by /u/shartedmypants8
    [link] [comments]

    Recycling center. Raw materials are sorted and fed back to the factory. Wood is dealt with on-site.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 11:14 AM PDT

    Land mines am I using them wrong?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 05:15 AM PDT

    I am for a third time trying to get to grips with land mines. On the face of it they seem excellent able to one shot kill a bunch of biters all at once. However after the first part of the wave has blown it's self up the bots fly out and replace the land mines meaning the spitters at the back of the wave stop and shoot at either the bots or the newly placed land mines. It seems there is a brief period when the landmines are visible and a target for the biters. They do this outside of the range of the guns and will sit there destroying litterly hundreds of bots and landmines.

    Am I doing something wrong? I can't be the only one to find this problem and if so I wonder why the devs don't do something to make them more viable.

    submitted by /u/sbarbary
    [link] [comments]

    Life is good

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 08:17 AM PDT

    I finally finished building the perimeter wall around my base. Not sure it was worth it.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 05:59 AM PDT

    How complicated does this game get in the late game?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 03:46 PM PDT

    I downloaded the demo and straight away went "oh no I would get addicted to this" because it's so simple and so fun. It's like building with Lego because I just put this piece next to this piece next to this piece and boom it just works!

    I'm curious how the late game is? Is it just more complex Lego or does it get hard to the point where I'd need to study for 5 years just to learn how to do something?

    submitted by /u/notgodpo
    [link] [comments]

    UPS /FPS Problems with Factorio HD modpacks

    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 04:20 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Im playing on a wqhd display and it always felt a bit mushy to me. So I downloaded the HD mod packs - does anyone else has FPS drop problems as well? Especially when it comes to autosaves it takes much more frames than usual.

    submitted by /u/Regular_Bonus_3764
    [link] [comments]

    Base Update

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 07:27 PM PDT

    [Mod request] Total time left for handcrafting queue

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 05:35 PM PDT

    I know, I know, handcrafting is bad.

    But this has been asked for over 5 years every now and then and I'm playing a 50x research cost Krastorio 2 playthrough so you can imagine handcrafting is a huge part of early game and I'd love to see the total crafting time left (including crafting speed modifiers).

    Basically, with 50-100x+ research costs you have to treat the early game sort of like an idle/afk game so it would be very valuable to see a timer about when will all you're queued crafting will be done.

    submitted by /u/bathrobehero
    [link] [comments]

    How do you remove Landfill?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 08:44 PM PDT

    Hi there,

    I'm currently working on creating blueprints for vanilla. As I like the green water and want to keep the map as natural as possible, I want to landfill as few as possible. I only want to landfill where I definitely have to build on, eg. for power poles, roboports and railways.

    SoI also want to create a landfill blueprint, but whenever I accidentally misplace a landfill or decide to rearrange it, this landfill stays and I have to remove it in the blueprint again manually or I have to move on to the next lake. That's annoying and further mistakes may happen.

    How would you handle this problem? Is there anything I'm missing in the editor or do I need a mod - which one would you suggest?

    Thanks a lot - the landfill must shrink -

    submitted by /u/Marvhyn
    [link] [comments]

    Need help figuring out why there is no water making it to some of the heat exchangers, I have them all connected to water pipes and offshore pumps, roughly 50, but there is a very low amount of water flowing through to the system, anyone know how I could fix it

    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 07:42 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment