• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 30, 2020

    Factorio I just noticed this on my logitech keyboard when a research finishes

    Factorio I just noticed this on my logitech keyboard when a research finishes


    I just noticed this on my logitech keyboard when a research finishes

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:32 PM PDT

    It appears the biters are much less easily distracted than I am.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 04:15 AM PDT

    pain

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 06:03 AM PDT

    My first megabase

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 06:57 AM PDT

    My first megabase

    I have finally managed to build my first megabase. Although it's running at 2.2k spm at the moment, that's basically due to backlog of resources. Once it settles down it should be a simple 1.0k spm base.

    I thought of breaking it up into train cells and have created blueprints for every cell so it should be fairly easy to scale up. There are things I'd do differently next time though - can anyone else suggest any improvements?

    1. No train stacking - this is a biggie, and means I can't overlap resources very well
    2. Signalling isn't correct. It works, but not well so intersections are off limits when trains pass, even if they wouldn't hit.

    Cheers all

    P

    https://preview.redd.it/9uihpieqjaq51.jpg?width=1620&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=f46659dc3b9c6841c7f22e242c28542c31d8b156

    https://preview.redd.it/evgvumeqjaq51.jpg?width=1620&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=f73c7031e65178d2332328e5b981e3b08a4b5ec3

    submitted by /u/OriginalPodster
    [link] [comments]

    isn't is funny how (almost) every megabase is born out of a lil starter base

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:14 PM PDT

    Train unloader I found

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 05:59 AM PDT

    Compact and easy to setup. It produces a direct bus!

    !blueprint https://pastebin.com/vpYXNHGr

    submitted by /u/NoSurfNoFapNoLazy
    [link] [comments]

    Switch station off when busy

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    I'd call myself a moderate player with only 2500 hours, but i still don't understand circuits.

    Currently working on a mega base, but i can't seem to find a solution to my problem.

    I want to disable a train stop whenever a train is there already. I know i need to do this by circuits but don't know how.

    Can any one make me a blueprint for this? 😂

    submitted by /u/Artistic_Okra
    [link] [comments]

    Megabase in progress

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:23 AM PDT

    Dense-packed Wide Blue Circuits from Raw

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 01:58 AM PDT

    Inspired by This post, I made a variant that packs down as short as possible given the constraint of no blue belts and no t2+ modules.

    Link to Ratio Calculator

    submitted by /u/Camo5
    [link] [comments]

    Player feedback management

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 07:33 AM PDT

    I have been watching a lot of Jon Blow and I relalized that Wube's success at taking in player feedback is quite rare in the industry. Changing the game according to feedback can lead to imporving the game but can also lead to making it mediocre by trying to satisfy everyone. That's why Jon Blow tries to limit play testing.

    Because Wube is very good at this in comparison with the rest of the game industry (3rd best rating on Steam!), I think that it might be beneficial to other game developers (and therefore also to the end consumers) if Wube tried to explain how to go about taking in feedback without ruining the game. Or in general how they interact with the community and why.

    submitted by /u/kindnessAboveAll
    [link] [comments]

    Question: megabase, trains and smelting

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    So I recently 'finished' with my first base after launching 50 or so rockets and I've decided to tear down my entire main-bus based factory and start from (sorta) square one.

    My first base was very much centralised and bus driven, with trains unloading ore into smelting arrays which fed into the main bus and so on and so forth.

    I don't necessarily have a SPM goal in mind, I just want to build something bigger and better. I'd like it to sorta be like an open ended project that I can work on whenever.

    ...

    So the actual questions in relation to building a 'megabase' (1k SPM and upward)

    • I've heard it's best to decentralize smelting to improve train compression. My current idea is to have a smelting 'hub' in each cardinal direction to gather and smelt the local copper and iron ore. But if I am going to have these localised hubs then eventually that means ore needs to be trained in to the hub, which maybe defeats the point of it? Is it better to just have a smelting array at each individual mine site?

    • I tend to favour 1-4 trains as it makes it easy to design consistent rail segments. Is there any reason to scale up to bigger trains for a mega base?

    • How many trains should I plan for, for each inbound stop? For example, I was considering having 8 unloading stations for copper plates (with room to expand obviously). But how many trains might it take to keep those deposits coming? I.e how many waiting stations should I plan for per single station?

    Final question, is a main bus still viable for mega base or is there another design I should consider?

    Thanks in advance for any advice

    submitted by /u/Stevake
    [link] [comments]

    Got my friend into Factorio and started a world with him to show him the ropes. Though it's only been 36 hours on the world we've made quite good progress for vanilla i think!

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    Should you play Pyanodon's Mods?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    Pyanodon's modpack, or PyMods, has a reputation for being, by far, the most complex Factorio modpack. And with thousands of items and fluids, and tens of thousands of recipes, this reputation is definitely deserved. I've seen many people state, only half-jokingly, that Py makes AngelBobs and all other simpler modpacks look like child's play, and it would be hard to disagree; even the most complex parts of Angel's Petrochem don't begin to rival what Pyanodon's has to offer.

    Unfortunately, however, this reputation of extreme difficulty has arguably done more harm than good for the popularity of Pyanodon's. Many players, even those who have defeated the likes of AngelBobs or Seablock, are hesitant to even attempt PyMods, often citing a lack of balance in the modpack, the artificially inflated difficulty, or just a lack of time to take on such a long endeavour. These fears are not unsubstantiated, but I do think they are often overstated. I would argue that Py has something for (almost) everyone.

    To begin, let's look at those three common reasons to not play Py:

    1. Lack of balance. IMO this is the least valid fear about Py, especially in its more recent iterations. Large parts of the modpack have gone through major balance changes in the months since Pyanadon's Alien Life was released in February (?), and many previous balance issues have been substantially improved. Although there are still some questionable issues, especially regarding the pacing of the modpack as a whole, I don't think any of them are major enough to warrant not playing the pack because of them.

    2. Lack of time. This is a valid issue, but only if you're insistent on completing the pack. Only one person has completed the entirety of the pack in a singleplayer game in its current version with Alien Life, the most recent mod in the pack, taking over 5 months and 800 in-game hours (much of this was at 2x gamespeed though), and he used Bob's god modules to speed up the latter part of the game significantly; without them the playthrough would like have been several hundred more hours. However, completion does not need to be the goal for a Py playthrough; in fact, it shouldn't be. Simply fully automating green science (about a 50-100 hour goal depending on your experience) gives you an excellent taste of what PyMods have to offer, and if you reach blue science/advanced circuits (a rather lofty goal in itself, taking around 200-300 hours) you have seen the majority of Py's unique mechanics and systems. However, even these goals take time; you can't really have a meaningful playthrough, even a partial one, in 15 or 20 hours.

    3. Artificial difficulty/unnecessary complexity. I've heard variations on this statement from numerous amounts of people, many of them using some variation of the phrase "complexity for the sake of complexity." Although it's true that PyMods strives for complexity, dismissing the modpack as only existing for the sake of difficulty is disingenuous. Py has several fascinating, unique mechanics which make playing the mods a fascinating experience. Here are a few examples:

    • Ore refining: Pyanodon's Raw Ores uses a very interesting system which forces you to make lots of decisions between complex, high-yield processes and simpler, lower-output options. Looking at iron as an example, the default ratio of smelting iron ore directly to plates ina furnace is 8 to 1, which is obviously abyssmal, especially when you need to make steel, which has a 10:1 iron-steel ratio, resulting in needing 80 iron ore to make one steel plate at first. If you somehow reach yellow science, however, you have the option of going all the way to a process which will, through almost two dozen steps of sorting, washing, crushing, purifying, melting, and casting, requiring various increasingly complex outside inputs and sometimes creating byproducts, give you a ratio of 1 ore to more than 7 plates. Of course, there are many intermediate processes you can do throughout the game which will give you various ratios in between these two extremes, and there are a lot of meaningful decisions regarding how much complexity you want to deal with, forcing you to question things like "should I double my iron ore input and entire process I've built so far, or should I go to the next step in the chain, requiring me to create these two new fluids?" Almost every ore (there are about 2 dozen of them IIRC) has a similar chain, with different requirements and numbers.

    • Oil Processing/Distillation: Not much to talk about here, it's basically Angel's Petrochem but much more complex. One thing to note is that for almost any product, there are multiple recipes to create that product, forcing you to consider what you've already done, and what you want to do to get however much of that product you need.

    • Circuits: Pyanodon's High Tech is where a large amount of the complexity of the pack comes from, and is the most complex required part of the pack in terms of the ludicrous numbers of intermediate products, forcing you to design clever systems to bring large numbers of products and fluids together to combine (or you can just use bots, of course).

    • Pyanodon's Alien Life: PyAL is the newest part of the Py suite, and arguably the most difficult part. It uses a fascinating, unique mechanic: you use an extremely difficult genetic process to create your first couple of specimens of whichever plant or animal you're producing, and you can then breed those initial individuals to exponentially increase your supply, which are then used as modules in buildings and are either used to be slaughtered, to create various products such as manure, or, in the case of plants, their seeds harvested. The way in which this is implemented is very clever, and each animal product has various recipes, usually using higher-quality (e.g. more difficult to produce) food, which usually consists of other animal/plant products. The whole mod is very intricately designed and interconnected.

    There are a lot more features I could get into, including the extremely finnicky and complex yet satisfying fusion energy options or the way rocket launches are used as a mid-late game mechanic instead of as a win state. However, I imagine a lot of people have read this far and are thinking that this all sounds like a lot. But one of the nice things about Py is that it's modular in that you can leave out some of the harder parts of the pack. Playing Py without High Tech or Alien Life leads to an enjoyable, albeit somewhat incomplete, experience that is not too much more difficult than modpacks such as AngelBobs. And playing only without Alien Life removes many of the most tedious parts of the pack while still containing most of the best parts of Py. These options are still very difficult, but are still incredibly fun and rewarding and make the pack accessible for anyone to enjoy, even if they don't have the time for the complete modpack.

    TL;DR: Although very difficult, Py has a lot of fascinating mechanics worth playing, and the options to only play part of the pack mean that anyone who has experience with some other modpacks can enjoy it.

    Some links:

    PyMods downloads: https://mods.factorio.com/user/pyanodon

    PyMods forum: https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=219

    PyMods discord: https://discord.gg/BsUqkJP

    Disclaimer: I'm not trying to advertise and have no affiliation with Pyanodon, I just enjoy the mods and think that more people should play them.

    submitted by /u/OwenProGolfer
    [link] [comments]

    Had a little bit of a trash disposal problem in my Space Exploration playthrough and I came up with the dumbest/smartest solution ever

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    So I've started getting to work on a space station in a Krastorio 2 + Space Exploration modded playthrough and realized how much of a pain getting rid of scrap is. I had two options. I either had to launch the scrap byproducts back to Nauvis on a rocket or launch it back with resource cannons. Neither of which were cheap since each one needed a ton of setup on both surfaces, resource investment, and power that I just didn't have on the station

    Then something hit me. I had Renai Transportation on my active mod list. It came with throwing inserters and a launch pad that primes grenades, rockets and other explosives. I put two and two together and had the dumbest/smartest idea to get rid of the scrap: grenade powered trash disposal.

    It took me three or so hours to make my abomination of a design. The front area loads chests and makes the disposable containers while the rear assembly line crafts and throws grenades to blow up the storage chests when a certain limit is reached. I know I could've used circuits to design it a bit better(I tried but I'm just not good with circuits), but all in all this basic model has... explosive results and is serving me well on my space station

    https://reddit.com/link/j2dbp8/video/exr7a2b0z6q51/player

    submitted by /u/Sairiel
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a two way train?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 06:22 AM PDT

    Basically without creating a loop, how do I make a train go back and forth on the same train?

    submitted by /u/TheSKorpionKing
    [link] [comments]

    Can I share gamesaves with friends?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 05:33 AM PDT

    I created a Multiplayer game with my friend, but my internet isn´t quite good so my friend is getting kicked. I want to send him the gamesave because he has better internet and we don´t want to start a new game because we played 10h on that save. (game bought on Steam)

    submitted by /u/rotweinpirat09
    [link] [comments]

    As a beginner, what are some good starter mods to try out in a new save?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:24 PM PDT

    After launching my first rocket and being well on the way towards my second, what are some good starter / simple mods to think about for my first modded save?

    submitted by /u/connor564
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for good train (un)loading blueprint

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 04:19 AM PDT

    I've been looking for a while for blueprints of good unloading stations with as many as possible fully compressed blue belts. Does anyone have a good screenshot or blueprint for how to unload possibly 3 blue belts per cart?

    submitted by /u/ikkentim
    [link] [comments]

    Combat/Survival mod set-up?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 03:02 AM PDT

    I want to drag my friends to factorio, but there's a clear divide between people who love tinkering, and those who like explosions and tests of skill. I figured factorio would be a fun middle ground, since building and defending are both crucial... but only to a point. I'm worried that combat will get too simplistic over time.

    I'm looking for mods that add more enemies, make their behavior more aggressive, and generally cause combat and defense a more constant issue. If anyone hosted combat/survival games, I'd love it if you shared your set-ups.

    submitted by /u/Freeform_
    [link] [comments]

    Finished the game for the first time!

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    Blue circuits - compact and close ratios

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    Blue circuits - compact and close ratios

    I was inspired by recent posts (1, 2) to create my own design. I was pleased with how it turned out, and surprised how practical the "all in one" approach turned out to be. It compares quite favorably to a setup with separate rows for each type of circuit in terms of footprint. The assemblers are placed so that each is covered by the maximum number of beacons.

    The ratios are nearly perfect and a single row consumes approximately one blue belt each of iron and copper. Five rows generously fill a yellow belt (924 i/min), consuming 4x iron, 5x copper, and 0.7x plastic.

    A single row

    Five rows saturate a yellow belt

    !blueprint https://gist.github.com/gertvv/a0f837735c85c4f06b0d27056b8f4feb

    !blueprint https://gist.github.com/gertvv/8c9549b2b1786c0018fbf57f1409a60b

    submitted by /u/gertvv
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment